PVC Flue Pipe LocationOn High Eff Condensing Furnace Quest.

Old 04-30-05, 06:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC Flue Pipe LocationOn High Eff Condensing Furnace Quest.

Hello:

Trying to understand things a bit more myself before getting contractors in to discuss particulars, and to give a quote

Regarding the new high efficiency gas fired force hot air
furnaces for a residence:

I am considering one, but can't imagine how I would ever be able to get the PVC flue pipe out of the room where the furnace is located.

A previous reply to one of my questions said that it is possible to run this pipe up the chimney. I always thought that this was a real no-no, and that it had to be horizontal (with a slight angular tilt back toward the furnace so condensate would run back into the furnace)

Can anyone explain, please, if it is possible, and what might be involved, in running the PVC pipe up and out of the existing roof mounted flue pipe (we don't have a fireplace; just a metal exhauist flue pipe going thru the roof).

Also, if it is possible, how does one handle the twists and turns from the furnace to the chimney outlet on the roof with essentially rigid PVC ?
It's not an exactly straight run in my place.

Much thanks again for all the help; really appreciate it,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-05, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Robert111
A previous reply to one of my questions said that it is possible to run this pipe up the chimney. I always thought that this was a real no-no, and that it had to be horizontal (with a slight angular tilt back toward the furnace so condensate would run back into the furnace)
I have been told that the high efficiency furnaces can not be vented up the chimney and must be horizontally vented. It has something to do with the vent gases not being hot enough to rise up the chimney.

Old 04-30-05, 11:07 AM
Yes, the PVC vent can go up the roof.. If you have lots of angle where it will be hard to do a staight run, then be too much work..

You can run PVC up to the roof in the PVC pipe inside the old chimeny.. But, You can NOT vent the PVC pipe into the old chimeny.

I've run PVC up the old chimeny a few times.. Just as long it no longer being used by another gas appilance such a water heater.

Old 04-30-05, 06:20 PM
Here is an interesting website that includes some tips on venting:

http://hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/94/941108.html#94110805

Old 05-01-05, 03:24 AM
The pipe does not have to go up through the roof. No reason it can't go out through a wall*

* There are limitations on total length and the number of elbows in the run. Proximity to windows, doors, snow lines, building overhangs, other utility meters and more must also be considered. These guidelines MUST be adhered to. Every manufacturer includes venting tables and guidelines in the installation manual.