furnace burner acting up

Old 05-04-05, 04:54 PM
sparke454
Visiting Guest
furnace burner acting up

hello all
i have a bryant furnace model 398 aaz .
i previously posted in another thread that my pilot would not light but instead it is something else. today i got the burner to turn on but it only stayed lit for a few minutes then it shut off and did not re light. could it be something with the gas valve? where should i begin to check with a mutlimeter? thanks for your help

Old 05-04-05, 06:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
If the burners stayed on for a few minutes, did the fan come on? The problem could be the fan or fan control. If you leave the furnace alone for 1/2 hr or so will the burners come on?

Old 05-04-05, 06:13 PM
sparke454
Visiting Guest
yes the fan came on and it stayed on even when the burner went out.

Old 05-04-05, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What kind of ignition system do you have?
Hot surface (glows during ignition); spark to pilot (spark lights pilot & pilot lights main burner) or direct ignition (spark lights main burner directly without lighting a pilot)
I am suspecting a flame sense problem.

Old 05-04-05, 07:16 PM
sparke454
Visiting Guest
spark to pilot system.
i just shut off the mian power supply at the breaker box and re started the furnace and the burner turned on do not know how long it will stay on though.

is there a reset process that by shutting the power off at the breaker it resets the system as opposed to the switch at the furnace?

Old 05-05-05, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Resetting

There should be no difference, as far as resetting, in turning off the thermostat, service switch, or breaker.
I still believe there is some kind of flame sensing problem. It could be draft related but I doubt it.

Old 05-06-05, 06:35 PM
sparke454
Visiting Guest
grady
what does the flame sensor look like and or where is it located at on the furnace?

Old 05-07-05, 09:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Flame sensor

Most are a rod with a porcelain shield part of the way up, about the diameter of a small pencil & have one wire attached. Some are built into the pilot assembly. The separate type are located on the burner farthest away from the pilot assembly & usually held in with one or two small screws.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: