Steam oil furnace runs randomly for short periods

Old 05-09-05, 10:06 AM
jeffraab
Visiting Guest
Steam oil furnace runs randomly for short periods (not for hot water)

Hi everybody. I just bought a house with oil steam heat. As part of the sale, the furnace was cleaned and serviced, and inspected suprisingly well. It's about 25 years old, I think.

Both with an old analog thermostat and new digital thermostat, the heat is fine. The furnace runs when it is supposed to, heats the house, and stops running at the right time.

Every 20-30 minutes or so, the furnace turns on for no apparent reason. It runs for about a minute, then shuts off. I haven't taken the time yet to figure out exactly how long it goes between running randomly, or if the furnace having run recently for heat affects anything. There don't appear to be any steam leaks. The radiators seem fine, with no painted valves or anything.

I've never had steam heat before, so is this normal behavior? Is it related to building or relieving pressure? What could be the cause(s), and what are some possibilities to stop it from happening? Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by jeffraab; 05-11-05 at 07:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-05, 07:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Steam Boiler

From the sound of things, I would say you probably get your domestic hot water from the boiler. It is firing to maintain a minimum temperature in order for you to have hot water.

Old 05-11-05, 07:37 AM
jeffraab
Visiting Guest
We have a separate gas hot water heater, so it's not heating water. But, I think the home inspector mentioned that the furnace looked like it used to be hooked up for tankless hot water at one time.

Do you think it's trying to maintain a temperature for the hot water, even though it's providing hot water anymore? Is there a way to turn the hot water component of the furnace off? I would think there should be a hot water thermostat, right?

Thanks Grady, for your insight.

Old 05-11-05, 06:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Boiler maintaining temp

There is probably an aquastat of some sort mounted below the water line of the boiler. Without seeing exactly how your boiler is wired, I couldn't tell you how to disconnect it. For the cost of a service call, a pro could likely do it in short order. You could just turn off the power at the switch but that would only cure the problem for the summer. The cost of this service call would easily be recovered in fuel savings.

Old 05-12-05, 06:57 AM
jeffraab
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for your help, Grady. I can't believe that the previous homeowners didn't do anything about it! Take care,

Jeff

Old 05-12-05, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Another idea

Since your boiler has been hot for 25 years, it might not like the idea of being shut down completely. Often cast iron boilers develop what we in the trade call "cold leaks". These are leaks caused by the contraction of the metal when it gets cold. If you can locate the aquastat, maybe you could turn it down to 110-120. You would still burn some fuel but the boiler would stay warm & the cast (presuming the boiler is cast iron) would not contract to the point of leaking. Another benefit of keeping a boiler warm is they stay cleaner because you don't get condensation in the flueways. Sorry to add to the confusion but you deserve the best information I can provide.