DIY'er looking for Manual J software or advice

Old 05-11-05, 08:31 AM
sklett
Visiting Guest
DIY'er looking for Manual J software or advice

Hi-
First post. I am preparing to install AC/Heat in my house.
I'm very comfortable with the work required, but what I'm not comfortable with is sizing. I am very concerned that I install the correct size units and that I run the correct sized ducting, etc.

I was told by a sales rep. that met with me last night (I wanted to see what it would cost to have someone do it) that a rule of thumb is 1 TON for every 500 sq. ft. That may be true. I'm not looking for a rule of thumb, I'm looking for a tried and true formula and from what I have read here, that is the Manual J.

If anyone knows of software that can aid me in this, I would really appreciate it. I would of course like free software or trial software, I need to do this whole project pretty cheap!

Sidenote: bid last night wanted $6,200 for a TRANE XL14i w/ paired 2 stage furnace.... I'm finding NEW equip. on ebay for almost 1/3 that price. COOL!

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-11-05, 08:39 AM
sklett
Visiting Guest
I have been looking at one solution in particular, if anyone has opinions/experience with this app, please do share

It's called RHVAC from elite software. Their website is very ghetto and crudy, but they are on version 8, that might mean something....
http://www.elitesoft.com/web/hvacr/e...vacw_info.html

Old 05-11-05, 02:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sklett
= a TRANE XL14i w/ paired 2 stage furnace.... I'm finding NEW equip. on ebay for almost 1/3 that price. COOL!

Thanks,
Steve
Are you doing two furnace??(Twined) why?? Unless you have a very large home??

Yes you can buy them cheap off the internet. but note, WARRANITY will be VOIDED if not installed by a dealer.

If you have problems, who are you going to fall on? Who is going to service it?

Be best to let the Pro do it.. I used to be in the fields, but I still had the Pro do my Trane.

Old 05-12-05, 02:29 PM
sklett
Visiting Guest
just 1 furnace

I'm just using one furnace, but it's a 2 stage furnace.

What aspects of the install does Trane require a pro to do? The people I have talked to aren't interested in giving me much of a break if I run the electrical and gas lines myself, install the platform for the furnace in the attic, etc. As soon as they pick up on the fact that I don't have $10K to blow on labor and 100% equip. markup they cool off and back towards the door.

With that said, I value the warranty and would like to find a way to have my cake and eat it too. Maybe I can supply the equip. and hire someone to do the install?

Thanks for the info though, I didn't know that about the warranty.

Old 05-12-05, 04:40 PM
Wow.. 6k is high.... Is this a 80% in the attic?? (I hope).. is this a new unit w/ new ductwork or replacement.?

If this is a replacement, I'd say that's high. I had a replacement last fall, and I didn't pay that much.

Old 05-12-05, 05:26 PM
sklett
Visiting Guest
All new, nothing is existing.
I am more than capable of doing 80%+ of the work, could have it done in a long weekend, so I hope that the only part that a "TRANE pro" needs to do is run the coolant, connect the supply voltage, control voltage, gas line and install the coil in the plenum. If that would satisfy the warranty req. then I could save $$$

If anyone is in the Southern California(Orange County) area and would be interested in some moonlighting cash to help out, contact me 949-903-9533

Old 05-12-05, 09:58 PM
have you tried to get bids from other trane dealers or other dealers? don't hurt to get a few bids.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: