Rinnai (or similar) direct-vent heating

Old 08-12-05, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rinnai (or similar) direct-vent heating

I am interested in opinions/experience on manufacturer and model for propane direct-vent heating units, like the Rinnai wall mounted models.

The space is 400sqft and is an open floor plan.
Northeast US climate.

Thanks!

Old 08-12-05, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
hdiy,

I have to tell you that there are many who view ventless heaters as a serious hazard.
In all of Canada and in many states they are not permitted by code.
They discharge a large amount of moisture in the home and some people are sensitive to the combustion byproducts that you breath when these heaters operate.
It is recommended by the US Department of Energy that they are not operated for more than two hours per day where they are allowed to be used.

Ventless info.

US Department of Energy link.

My feeling is that you would do well to get a vented type of heater instead.

Old 08-14-05, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Greg. I have heard the same about ventless models.
Anything with an "oxygen depletion sensor" makes me wonder how safe it is operating in a living space. Then there is all the moisture it releases...

From looking at the Rinnai models, the only units with a large enough heat output are the direct-vent anyway. I'm still curious if you or anyone else has experiences either for or against Rinnai and other brands?

Old 05-14-06, 11:29 AM
mlips
Visiting Guest
Need Update on Rinnai ventless heaters

Any new information on Rinnai or similar ventless heaters? Need one for 1000sq ft basement and it looks like a pretty good solution at $500.

Old 05-14-06, 12:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
mlips

I discourage the installation & use of any unvented fuel burning appliance. If you read that link Greg provided I think you will understand why. In many areas they have been outlawed.

Old 05-14-06, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
mlips,

There is nothing new to add about ventless heaters.
There is a great deal of controversy about them and the controversy will continue untill they are banned everywhere.
There are compromises to most things but in a lot of folks opinion the risks of having the products of combustion released in the space people occupy and the potential damage from excess humidity in your home are too great.
The small savings in installation costs are not worth it IMO.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: