furnace pilot light goes out after button released..

Old 09-25-00, 12:13 AM
Visiting Guest
after 60 to 100 seconds.. I must have went through two books of matches. I cannot get the pilot light to stay lit. We had the same problem last September and the man from the furnace company came over & replaced some parts and charged us 75 dollars. Does this happen every year after summer? The pilot light has probably been out since June..

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-00, 05:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:ttodd

What your discribing sounds like a weak thermocouple. That's the element the pilot flame is heating in the pilot assembly where your putting the match.

The part isn't all the hard to install. Just be carefull threading the new one in if you replace it. Be sure the threaded end screws into the gas valve body using your fingers before applying the 7/16 inch wrench.

Another possibility is a yellow or yellowed pilot flame. It has to be totally blue and HOT. It may have dust in it. If so, blow it out.

Any further problems or questions advise and I'll attempt to help you further. Also check this forums archives for correcting this problem in more detail.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available online.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Web Site Host, Forums Monitor, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-23-06 at 06:06 AM.
Old 01-22-06, 10:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm having a similar problem

I just replaced the thermol coupler and had the orfice cleaned out, but my pilot goes out every couple of days. It is a perfection heater. Any suggestions?

Old 01-22-06, 10:33 AM
Wink Perfection Heater

I need some advise. I just replaced a thermal coupler and had the orfice cleaned on my heater. My pilot on the heater continues to go out every few days. Any suggestions?

Forums Monitor Note:
This question has been merged and moved into this forum topic.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-23-06 at 06:11 AM.
Old 01-28-08, 11:58 AM
Smile Pilot light/thermocoupler problem

My problem has been solved (so far, knock on wood) by holding down the pilot lighting button for a half-hour or so - thereby heating the thermocoupling element enough and/or cleaning out the gas line (I don't know which) to keep it going on its own.

Normally, the gas button is OFF for 5 minutes or more and then turned to the PILOT position and pushed down down for a minute or so while the pilot itself is lighted - when operating correctly, releasing the button to let it rise will keep the pilot flame going so that the button can be turned completely to the ON position.

Needless to say, mine was going out immediately upon release or fairly soon after turning it to the ON position. Forcing it down for 30 minutes or so did the trick.

I used a small profile pistol grip hand clamp to do so while I handled other chores.

Old 01-28-08, 12:03 PM
Replace the thermocouple. If that doesn't do it, your gas valve is likely bad.

Old 02-01-08, 09:20 AM
Thermocouple/gas feed nozzle

Replaced the thermocouple with one of 3 old spares I had while going to buy a new 36 inch universal model ($12.80 w/ tax). Noticed that the new looking one I took out has a small flat spot in the copper tube - like what would be made with a needle nose pliers but without the teeth marks. The newly purchased one seems not to have that - don't know whether that's a design or flaw but it had been working since November 2005.

Anyway, instead of installing the new one, I cleaned the gas nozzle (with denatured/100% alcohol dripping through it) and reinstalled the new looking one that has been working for the prior two winters. Am keeping the temp in the basement to around 50 F instead of in the high 30s.

The heater pilot light didn't kick off last night. It may have been a clogged gas nozzle, after all.

Old 02-19-08, 01:30 PM
thermocouple update

For the first time in a month, while the thermostat was turned down to 53 F, my pilot stayed on all night and most of the day today - it finally going out when idle for a couple hours and the temperature in the basement lowered into the 40s.

The secret was to prevent ambient air 'from above' from getting into the control box where the gas feed line and thermocouple surround the control unit itself. Pictures can be seen for today's entry (2/19/08) at http://Diary.Jamrent.com or at http://www.jamrent.com/ben/bendiary.htm

I had been heating the control box with a small electric heater while the pilot was on but discovered yesterday that merely placing a couple pieces of scrap hardboard above the heater while it was off also worked for about 36 hours. (There is no heat to speak of in the control box but enough is needed to keep the thermocouple from thinking the pilot has gone out when it really is still on.)

I had a contractor come in 10 days ago but have yet to receive his estimate. My house at 600 square feet is too small for the modern high efficiency furnaces being built these days - c'est lavie.

Old 02-19-08, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the thermocouple in the flame real good? More than once, I have had to forcibly bend either the pilot hood or thermcouple towards each other to establish better flame in around the thermocouple, to counteract updraft of the pilot flame trying to miss the thermocouple.

Old 02-19-08, 04:32 PM
Wink

Lot of times it pays to take the pilot apart and make sure the holes in the orifice are clean and that there is no spider web up there in its venturi.

Old 02-20-08, 05:33 AM
Agree with everyone else. I would like to add, a gas pressure test may not be a bad idea.

Old 02-20-08, 11:18 AM
furnace pilot flame

Yes, yes and yes - over the past month all those and a lot more have been done 'jerry rigging' this rambunctious 'good' old furnace to my needs. I may call in someone to test it all as soon as I find someone I can trust based upon personal referral from a neighbor, friend or relative - many people won't come into the Inner City to do anything.

The commonality appears to be the temperature of the ambient air inside the controller box - it maybe cooler and cooling the thermocouple coil when the burner flames are all off but the pilot and fan still on and sucking in air from the basement floor - it began in January when our outside temperatures were below ZERO, as they are going to be tonight.

Old 02-20-08, 11:56 AM
Wink

it maybe cooler and cooling the thermocouple coil when the burner flames are all off but the pilot and fan still on and sucking in air from the basement floor -
????? Why is the fan on if the burner is off????? Have you checked the heat exchanger there for a leak??????

Old 02-20-08, 12:04 PM
Furnace Fan

This is a really well built furnace made by Olsen when it was located in Elmyria, Ohio (now in Canada) that only turns the fan on after the burners turn off, presumably because the fan is distributing the hot air recycled through the 'heat exchanger' that was just reheated. Don't know the age, but figure it must have been built before the 1960s. The fan may also come on just at the end of the burner firing cycle but I've not stuck around long enough to look for that - will do so when returning home today.

It's a 100,000 btu unit in a 600 square foot home that was originally designed as 400 square foot - I'm really only concerned about heating 180 square foot of it although the rest needs to be heated as needed or to keep pipes from freezing, etc.

Old 02-20-08, 12:49 PM
Wink

that only turns the fan on after the burners turn off,
That is just not right. Blower control set to high???? bad dont work.
Any gas furnace or other. When the home calls for heat the burner turns on . When at a set heat the blower turns on and runs. When the house is up to heat the burner will shut off. The blower then should run till the furnace cools down to what the blower control is set at.

Old 02-20-08, 01:08 PM
A furnace with a pilot light is probably pretty old, and a cracked heat exchanger wouldn't be a surprise to me. But I haven't seen yours, of course.

A furnace has to have the burners going as well as the fan, if it's to provide steady heat when needed. You may have multiple problems.

Old 02-21-08, 10:19 AM
furnace pilot & fan

You're right, I misspoke - the fan comes on soon after all the burners are going and doesn't go off until the heat exchanger cools down.

The weather is staying in the teens or higher for the foreseeable future, so I'm back to just shutting it all down until I need to reheat the living space back up to 60 F - that saving from not having the pilot flame lit for 12 or more hours at a time when it's not needed.

I'll also check into the heat exchanger itself this summer.

Old 01-09-09, 12:06 PM
Cool Pilot Flame Assemby

2009 update: The gas meter was old, creaky and cranking out too little pressure when it got cold. The local utility co. replaced it.

I added a new brass/copper (I don't know which) deflector to the old pilot flame assembly and everything is working well.

Am still turning it all off and relighting in the morning or when needed to save on gas from the pilot until I can buy a retro conversion kit with new pilot flame assembly that will switch it all to electric ignition. Have seen some under $300 but will wait until later this summer to price again and hope for a bargain.