thermostats (Oil Furnace)

Old 08-25-05, 07:00 PM
mac169
Visiting Guest
thermostats

My oil furnace continues to run even when the thermostat is off or on 50 degrees in a 70 degree home. The thermostat is a general round one not digital and I recently had some work done in that room and it got very dusty. Do you think the problem is with the thermostat or the oil burner. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-05, 07:47 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mac169
My oil furnace continues to run even when the thermostat is off or on 50 degrees in a 70 degree home. The thermostat is a general round one not digital and I recently had some work done in that room and it got very dusty. Do you think the problem is with the thermostat or the oil burner. Thanks
Sounds like you may have had a nail or screw driven into the thermostat cable. Pull the cover off your thermostat and disconnect the red wire. If your furnace continues to run then I would say that you have a short in the wiring of the thermostat cable, effectively not allowing the thermostat to control the oil burner.

Old 08-26-05, 09:56 AM
mac169
Visiting Guest
thank you Roger, I'm going to check it out now.

Old 08-26-05, 05:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mac169

Is this a furnace (heats by blowing warm air) or a boiler which heats with hot water?

Old 08-27-05, 11:32 AM
mac169
Visiting Guest
oil burner, forced hotwater

Old 08-27-05, 05:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Boiler not furnace

The burner runs all year either because it is making your domestic hot water or it has a control designed to do so. As long as you are not getting heat in the baseboard or radiators whichever the case may be, don't worry about it. It is doing what it is supposed to.

Old 08-27-05, 06:17 PM
mac169
Visiting Guest
Yes, thanks Grady, but I had to shut off the emergency switch when they shut down some breakers, which shuts down the burner. When I turned the switch back on the burner kept running and the baseboards got very hot. I have yet to disconnect that red wire. I will try that first.

Old 08-28-05, 07:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Red Wire

Try first disconnecting it at the thermostat. If the heat shuts down, the thermostat is at fault. If it does not shut down, disconnect the wire at the boiler, if the system now shuts down, you have a short in the wire. Thermostats usually control the circulator, not always the burner. If you have more than one thermostat, does each control a circulator or a zone valve?

Old 08-28-05, 08:14 AM
mac169
Visiting Guest
I have a thermostat upstairs for zone 2, the downstairs one is the one not working. My AC is also on the thermostat and I was wondering would I have a problem with the ac if disconnecting the red wire? That's what is making me hesitate to disconnect. Thanks again Grady.

Old 08-29-05, 03:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Red Wire

If you have A/C & a boiler on the same thermostat, the boiler "red" should go to the terminal marked RH & the one for the A/C should go to RC terminal on the stat. If you only have one wire & a jumper between RH & RC, there is your poblem.

Old 09-01-05, 07:46 PM
mac169
Visiting Guest
ok, I'll check it out. thank you