Concrete Pad for Gas Furnace ?

Old 08-30-05, 12:09 PM
Arch
Visiting Guest
Concrete Pad for Gas Furnace ?

It is suggested by the manufacturer that I put a concrete pad to raise my new furnace off the concrete basement floor just in case of sewer backup or other water issues.

The old furnace was done this way, but I noticed that the furnace was drawing moisture out of the concrete floor and the raised concrete pad

Should I put something (plastic sheet ?) under the new pad to help prevent moisture coming up through the concrete floor and causing rust to the furnace bottom ?

I assume pouring a small custom sized pad is better than trying to use something like 2 large patio pavers ?

Thanks in advance !

Cheers,
Archie

Old 08-30-05, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I must admit that I've never seen a furnace draw moisture up from the concrete floor.
I just pour a 4" slab with about a 2" overhang around it.

Old 08-30-05, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Furnace pad

I usually use either hollow concrete blocks (laid on their side) or lentels. Either method povides ventilation under the appliance. If you use some sort of solid base, which I don't reccommend, you can easily rust out the bottom of a furnace in a few years if the basement is damp.

Old 08-31-05, 09:43 AM
Arch
Visiting Guest
Hello again Mattison !
My original plan was to do it the way you describe but.....

The bottom of the old 70's Janitrol furnace was rusted when I moved in 15 years ago but it was totally rusted out when I ripped it out.
Since I haven't had water in the basement over the 15 years I've lived there, I can only assume it was moisture coming through the concrete floor that made it worse than it was when I moved in.

This basement isn't normally damp but there have been a few times over the last 10 years where I have noticed moisture under paint cans and such which have been sitting on the floor.

Grady..
Thank you for the idea.
I assume you just put the lintels down each side ?
or do you put a few rows wih air space between ?

Time to contact my buddy who's a sale mgr at a masonry company.

Thanks again for your help !

Cheers,
Archie

Old 08-31-05, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
man, I have not seen any new homes set up with "pad" for the furnaces..

Most of them are put on rubber pad. it rise it about 1/2" off the floor. Mine has it on all 4 corners.

Old 08-31-05, 06:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Archie

I prefer blocks to lentels then use the rubber "anti-vibration" pads Jay mentioned under the corners. If you use lentels, either front & back or each side with the rubber pads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: