Underground propane tank problems

Old 09-22-05, 08:03 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Underground propane tank problems

My house is about 25 years old and is heated by an underground propane tank (which I think is original to the house). We have had very little rain in the NE in the past couple months. When my propane technician filled the tank he noticed a lot of water sitting in the exposed area of the tank. Given the lack of rain it should have been bone dry. It is the opinion of the propane company that the tank needs to be replaced. The good news for me is the tank is owned by the propane company so replacement will come at their expense. Now I have to decide between three options:

1) Four 100 gallon above ground tanks placed against the garage
2) One 500 gallon above ground tank placed at least 10 feet away from the house
3) Excavate the existing tank and install a used underground tank in the same spot

I'm not thrilled about one big 500 gallon tank because I can't hide it that well with landscaping. And I don't want to put a huge fence around it either. The easiest option is probably to go with the tanks by the garage and buy some sort of fencing to hide them.

My first choice is another underground tank. The propane company said if they dig up the old tank they may be able to see why the old tank is flooded. Does anyone know of any sort of drainage system that can be installed for underground tanks? I'm concerned that if there is not enough drainage I'll have to have this tank replaced after a short period of time as well. I'm also thinking of having the tank installed underground maybe 10 feet away from the existing underground tank. But I don't know if that will be enough to avoid the flooding. Any thoughts/opinions are welcome.

Old 09-22-05, 08:13 AM
??? Did they say the tank is defetive and has to be pulled out??

My parents has a 1,000 gallon tank in thier front yard, and when the put it into the ground, no drainage system was used.

Where was the water? The fill port? or around the whole tank?

Have you used the sprinklers?

I can't understand how you can have water there since the tank is round, no place for it to be held..

I have never hard of undergroud tank till last year when my parents were building a house. The LP company told them it been going pretty fast vs on ground one.

Old 09-22-05, 08:42 AM
H
The tank is not defective. When you lift off the cap only a small portion of the top of the tank is visible. The entire area is filled with water, so bad that you can't even read the fill gauge. Additionally all the components above ground are sitting in mucky water 24/7. The major concern is the water freezing in the winter. It could freeze over the fill valve or, even worse, the pressure release.

I don't use any sprinklers in that area. There is a very slight downward pitch from the garage to where the tank is, but nothing that would account for this much water. The ground around the tank is not even soggy so maybe there is an underground spring running right near the tank. I really don't know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: