Horizontal direct vent Rheem high effic furnace

Old 09-29-05, 08:52 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Horizontal direct vent Rheem high effic furnace Question

We had a Rheem 75K BTU 92% furnace installed this summer and it was vented horizontally out the north side of the house. Intake air is from the outside as well. The location and distances of the vent and intake pipes (from each other and ground, windows, etc.) seem to be okay according to the instruction manual. I have two questions. First, I am concerned about strong north winds and blowing snow this winter (we live in Iowa). Both PVC pipes are simply cut at an angle so that the top of the pipe is a pipe's width longer than the lower edge of the cut end. No T-angles and no baffles of any sort. Should there be some kind of wind baffle on either pipe??? Secondly, I am not crazy about having the vent at the side of the house and seeing the furnace exhaust every time the furnace kicks on. Is this exhaust going to discolor our vinyl siding? Can it seep through siding/windows, etc. The windows are double-pane and pretty tight in the frame. The exhaust pipe is approx one foot long from the place where it exits the house.
Here's additional info...

1. We live in western Iowa..we can experience temps as low as -30F though more often the low for the winter is -20. Winds come out of the NW and during blizzard conditions can be fierce.
2. 1960s single level ranch with full basement, original siding now covered by vinyl. Windows are original double-pane (one unit with air between two glass)
3. Rheem 75K BTU 92% furnace installed this summer in combo with central air unit.
4. Natural gas.
5. Programmable thermostat

Last edited by JayPete; 09-29-05 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 09-29-05, 06:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Iowa

I too would be concerned about that installation. Roof venting, in my opinion, would be far preferable.

Old 09-24-12, 01:57 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the intake should have a 45 degree fitting installed on it and the discharge should extend 12 inches from the side of your house 24 inches from the ground ( to allow for snow accumulation.)
No baffles or restrictions are allowed by the manufacturer on either of the vent lines. That means no bird screen, wire baskets, or pvc perforated caps. There is an air pressure switch inside the furnace that measures pressures in the furnace. If the pressure runs too high on the discharge line the furnace will eventually trip. If the inlet side measures low pressure, the air switch will eventually trip.
I cannot tellyou how many times I have shown up for no heat calls and found some contraption wrapped around a discharge line so no critters can get in- these cages/screens Ice up on certain days with certain conditions and are nuisance service calls- costing 100 and up. The manual tlls you- no restrictions or screens
they tell you that for a reason.

Last edited by hvactechfw; 09-24-12 at 04:56 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: