92% direct vent

Old 10-13-05, 10:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
92% direct vent

I am installing two 92% direct vent type furnaces in old house 80,000 btu Tappan. the manufacturer states that up to 150' of 3" pvc piping is allowed for each furnace.

Can I use an existing ceramic line chimmey for the exhaust? Chimmey has two water heaters venting very good draft will suck a newspaper tight to the cleanout door when water heaters are firing. Sucks smoke and bends 1" paper when not fired.

Chimmey is 8x12 fully lined ceramic and brick. about 12 ft from chimmey to furnace.

Air supply is 3" can use basement air or outside air. was thinking 7" duct to the furnace divied into two 3" galvanized pipe from under porch area. About 16' from porch to furnace.

Wife doesn't want pipes visable from yard or street " its ugly" . Have dug hole in basement not sure if its for me or the wife.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-05, 12:27 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am installing two 92% direct vent type furnaces in old house 80,000 btu Tappan. the manufacturer states that up to 150' of 3" pvc piping is allowed for each furnace.

Why not have a pro put it in, and it will be done right??

Can I use an existing ceramic line chimmey for the exhaust? Chimmey has two water heaters venting very good draft will suck a newspaper tight to the cleanout door when water heaters are firing. Sucks smoke and bends 1" paper when not fired.

NO! DO NOT vent a 92% up the chimmey!

Air supply is 3" can use basement air or outside air. was thinking 7" duct to the furnace divied into two 3" galvanized pipe from under porch area. About 16' from porch to furnace.

You are best to use 100% outside air on these system.. It'll last longer... and also burns cleaner since it's not sucking in who knows what's in the air.. (soap, hair spray, cat littler.... )

Wife doesn't want pipes visable from yard or street " its ugly" . Have dug hole in basement not sure if its for me or the wife.

There are vent kits makes it looks better.. These 90% system are made to use PVC, NOT metal or chimmey. You can paint PVC is you want it to blend with the house better.