Gas furnace pilot lite

Old 10-17-05, 02:47 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas furnace pilot lite

I have a 25 yr. old {at least} gas furnace. The furnace runs fine with plenty of heat but everytime the unit shuts off the pilot light goes out. I am having no trouble relighting the pilot. Could the thermocouple need to be replaced?

Old 10-17-05, 04:06 AM
I would start by cleaning the pilot assymbly good. Blowing compressed air through it will help. If the t-couple is more than a few years go ahead and replce it while you have the pilot assymbly apart.

Old 10-17-05, 03:25 PM
P
Originally Posted by kpg712
I have a 25 yr. old {at least} gas furnace. The furnace runs fine with plenty of heat but everytime the unit shuts off the pilot light goes out. I am having no trouble relighting the pilot. Could the thermocouple need to be replaced?
kpg,
It sounds like maybe the thermocouple? Sometimes older drafty homes can cause that too....

Have you considered a new furnace? Today’s units are more efficient than your 25 yr old furnace by a long shot! With the projected price of natural gas this winter, it might make sense for you to go with a new furnace.

Last year I replaced my old furnace with +90 ComfortMaker and it made a huge difference in my natural gas usage this past winter. Even an 80% unit will save you a ton of money when compared to your old dinosaur.
Phil

Old 10-17-05, 06:30 PM
I agree.. think about a new one.. My gas usage went down almost half last year with a new furnace.

I had a 37y/o Air Temp 120,000BTU , and put in 2-stage Trane VS 80,000BTU.. House is even in temp as well.

Old 10-18-05, 05:36 AM
K
Thanx for the responses. I had the furnace looked at last year by a heating contractor before I bought this house & they rated it at 82%. I have considered a new furnace, but the expense has me wary. I have approx. 1800 sq. ft. of living space. I don't have a clue what a new furnace would run me. I'm going to change out the t-couple today & see what happens.

Old 10-18-05, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by kpg712
Thanx for the responses. I had the furnace looked at last year by a heating contractor before I bought this house & they rated it at 82%. I have considered a new furnace, but the expense has me wary. I have approx. 1800 sq. ft. of living space. I don't have a clue what a new furnace would run me. I'm going to change out the t-couple today & see what happens.

Umm.. 82%??? No! The 80% has a small inducer fan the control/pulls the exhaust from the furance. More likely that furance is maybe 60% at best.

Is it a G- series? Lot of those had heat exchanger that has failed on them.

Also, lot of times those old furance were way oversized for homes.. For your home your size, i'd say a 60 to 80k, and I'd guess your current system is over 100k BTU.

Keep it in mind.. it will pay it self off when you get a new one.

Old 10-18-05, 09:51 AM
K
I changed the t-couple, but it did no good. So, I'm back to square 1. The plate on the furnace says Health -Aire by V&H Industries out of Buffalo. You're right Jay, it's rating is 100,000 btu's. How can I tell if it's a g series? In any case, it's time to call a service tech.

Old 10-18-05, 01:20 PM
K
Well, I guess I may have spoken too soon. I went & bought a can of compressed air & removed the fitting for the pilot assembly from the valve. I blew it out thru the tubing & restarted the pilot. I ran the furnace through 2 cycles & the pilot has stayed on. Guess I'll keep an eye on it & see what happens. For less than $15. I may have solved the problem, knock on wood. Thanx to all for you're help.

Old 10-18-05, 05:39 PM
Glad to see you got it going..

Never mind about the G-series.. I thought you had a Lennox at first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: