cleaning vent free gas heater brick

Old 10-24-05, 03:13 PM
anangke
Visiting Guest
cleaning vent free gas heater brick

I live in the southeast (alabama) temp are around 70ish but have been dipping into 30's at night and today high is low 60's.

I live in a smallish cinderblock house. (probably under 1200sqft if that)

the only thing I know about the heater is it's are made by martin it's a three brick model. I have put some pictures of it on my yahoo site. http://www.geocities.com/gabrielle_b74/Heater.html (loads slow)

the problem is the middle brick doesn't burn correctly. It's the first brick (low setting) to turn on and the flame just licks up over the brick. All the other bricks work they glow red and have no trouble. It was suggested to me that it may need to be cleaned (not a professional, my cousin suggested it)

I don't have the money to hire someone to clean the brick and don't want to use anything that will damage it. I've just moved into this house and don't know any history of the heater. I believe it's 7yrs old. but could be alittle more.

If you can't tell me how to clean it, is there any problem with it running as is? I've searched online and can't find any instructions. and I've been to the martin side but they dont' have the information I need. Everything just says you should clean your heater regularly. ugh please help.

thanks,
Gabrielle

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-05, 05:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gabrielle

Do your self a favor & get rid of that thing. They have already been outlawed in five states & hopefully the remaining 45 will soon follow.

Old 10-24-05, 07:19 PM
anangke
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Grady
Do your self a favor & get rid of that thing. They have already been outlawed in five states & hopefully the remaining 45 will soon follow.
would if I could, but I can't.

Old 10-24-05, 09:00 PM
I agree with Grady..

I know lot of company/service tech will NOT service these things anymore..

Death waiting to happen... They burn up all your Oxygen out of the air! and then puts in Co2.

Why can't you take it out? Put in a vented system where you will be at ease.

Old 10-25-05, 08:22 AM
anangke
Visiting Guest
Because I don't have any money. ok heres the short version. I've got degenerative disc disease and can't work. I've applied for disablility and am waiting for approval. This house is on my grandfathers farm. He died years ago. My parents are paying for my utilities and I get food stamps. I'm using their aol service. They (my parents) fixed the house best they could, lots of plumping and electrical problems. Has mold issues and termite damage. and my dad is set to retire this december. They/we just don't have the means to get a new heater.

Please don't keep posting for me to get a new one. It does absolutely no good at all.

Thanks,
Gabrielle

Old 10-25-05, 12:38 PM
Sorry to hear about your health issues..

I've never serviced these unit, so I honestly don't know what woudl cause it to do what it's doing..

Check with your local county/city/state to see if they have a program to help you get a new heater or furnace for the home..

I've heard of a program. but don't know what's the name of it off hand.