Furnace Blower Won't Quit - Magic Chef

Old 10-25-05, 11:46 AM
dbthj
Visiting Guest
Furnace Blower Won't Quit - Magic Chef

I have an old Magic Chef furnace/air unit in my attic. The blower runs continually, regardless of whether the heat or air conditioning is on. From what I've read this is likely a problem with the limit switch. Maintenance doc says 100 degree fan-off setting is recommended. I have a model G83-125D2535-1 unit. Where is the switch and how can I adjust or replace it? The unit is in a confined area of a shallow attic. HVAC guys don't like to go up there. I don't blame them and I don't want them up there anyway. They tend to crush, mangle, and disconnect the flexible ducts. It is probably easier to do this myself than to find a reliable HVAC guy who is small enough, young enough and nimble enough to handle the job (and is willing to try).

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-05, 05:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Depending upon how "old"

This furnace may have an adjustable "fan/limit" switch. It would probably be about 3 x 5 inches & may or may not have a white button sticking out of the aluminum colored cover. Inside the cover is a dial with three stops. The stop toward the low end of the scale is the "fan off" setting. Hold the dial & move the stop. Do not turn the dial by hand. Also when you put the cover back on, make sure that button is pulled out. If pushed in, the fan will run constantly.

Old 11-01-05, 02:08 PM
dbthj
Visiting Guest
There were, indeed, 3 stops. They were set at 100, 120, and 200. Would it be the 100 stop that I would want to change? Which way? The dial is marked OFF ON OFF. It is not clear to me why there would be two off settings and an on. My best guess would be that the blower should turn on when the temperature gets up to 120 and turn it off at 100. So, what I want to do is push the 100 up higher? Sure beats me what the 200 tab
is for.

Thanks for the help. I'm getting closer.

Old 11-02-05, 07:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Three tabs

Your guess is correct. I suggest 110-130 & 200. The 200 setting is the high limit, a safety control. If the fan fails to come on or for someother reason that probe senses 200, it will shut down the burner until that temperature drops to about 170.