Gas Furnace Blowing Cold Air

Old 10-29-05, 12:26 PM
Robyn
Visiting Guest
Gas Furnace Blowing Cold Air

I have a Trane Gas Furnace Model TEU060A,the Thermostat is also Trane, manual variety. It was worked on last year when it would not stay on. When I switched the heat on for the first time, it came on, but is blowing cold air. I checked the gas to make sure it's on. It has a electronic ignitor so I assume the "pilot" is on. The AC wored fine during the summer so Thermostat doesn't seem to be the problem. Its about 55 outside with low of 40.

Suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-05, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No heat

I think that furnace uses hot surface ignition. When the furnace tries to light can you see a glow near the burners?

Old 10-29-05, 01:36 PM
Robyn
Visiting Guest
Yes, when it first ignites there is a glow, but then it dies rather quickly. I still hear the blower running.

Old 10-29-05, 04:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No heat

There are numerous reasons for a furnace not to light. Many are linked to safety devices. Does the furnace blower door have a "window" in it where you can see a light blink? If it does, count the blinks between pauses then remove the door & look for the key to the blink code. It should be either on the inside of the door or on the ignition control.

Old 10-29-05, 08:11 PM
Robyn
Visiting Guest
Yes. When the glow is on, it is flashing continuously. When the glow dies (I hear a switching noise), and few minutes later (the light changes to 2 flashes then a pause and repeat). The diagnosis on the panel says that continuous flashing means normal call for heat, and that the 2 flashes means a system lockout. I have check for any broken wire and none are visible to the eye.

Thanks for help, it is really appreciated.

Old 10-29-05, 10:10 PM
Turn off the power going to the furnace, then watch the red flash.. it will flash the history of it..

It has to lock out for a reason.. and flash before the two will say why locked out.

Old 10-30-05, 06:45 AM
Robyn
Visiting Guest
Perhaps the wiring isn't quite right. When I turn off the breaker, the light is off. When I turn it on, it goes back to continual flashes.

Old 10-30-05, 03:32 PM
You would almost want to be right there when the power comes on.. Soon as the power comes on, the red light will flash the history.

If you are doing it alone, I am sure by the time you get back it will be done flashing the code..

You also could just remove the blower door, and press the door switch by hand.

Old 10-30-05, 04:33 PM
Robyn
Visiting Guest
With electric on, I opened the door and found the switch that shuts down furnace with open door. I manually held the switch and watch the light. It kicks on immediate, theres the glow. The light is continual flashing, no series. I've tried counting, my diagnosis goes to 9 flashes, but I count way past 9. There's a loud click, the glow dies. I've check all wires, they are tight. The wires on back of thermostat is also on tight.

Is it time for a professional to be called?

Old 10-30-05, 06:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Quick basic check

Check both the gas service valve outside the furnace & the furnace's electric gas valve to verify they are both on. The service valve should have a handle & it should be turned paralell to the pipe. The gas valve in the burner compartment should be set to "on". Sometimes it's easy to over look the simple stuff.

Old 10-30-05, 06:51 PM
Robyn
Visiting Guest
I have triple checked all gas valves, and they are on. I have hot water (gas boiler) so I know there is gas in the house.

Old 10-30-05, 07:45 PM
There should be two lights.. A green one, and red.

Green will flash steady, no call for heat.

Green flash fast, call for heat.

Then the red light is the "trouble shoting light".. (If your has it.. I tried to download the manual, but it locks out)

The red light will flash the history, and also the trouble at the time if there is problem.

Old 10-30-05, 08:00 PM
Robyn
Visiting Guest
No green light. Only red. The module with flashing light seems to be something the HVAC guy added last year when I had trouble. It's doesn't seem part of the Trane System.

Old 10-30-05, 08:19 PM
Ok.. I have the XV90 (Two stage variable speed 90%), where you got the builder's model XB80, (single stage 80% standard blower)..

I wasn't sure if the XB had the same light as I od or not.. I tried to download the manaul, but it won't let me, and closes the browser down..

Maybe time to call the guy out.