Installing a programmable thermostat (Hunter 5+1+1)

Old 10-31-05, 09:28 AM
nmehta
Visiting Guest
Question Installing a programmable thermostat (Hunter 5+1+1)

I have a Peerless MMW 60B gas fired boiler with three pipes going to three different baseboards on three different floors of my house (three thermostats).

I have bought a programmable thermostat (Hunter Set and Save 5+1+1) and would like to replace the exiting mercury thermostat but I am a rank amaeteur and don't want to mess anything up with the cold season at hand in Massachusetts. Please help with the following questions.

1. The new thermostat is not compatible with multi stage pumps and electric baseboard heat . Can I safely assume that it is compatible with my system as described above?

2. My current thermostat has a red wire connected to RH, White to W and RH and RC have a jumper connecting them. Does this sound like a low voltage system? Can I install the new thermostat without shutting off the mains? There is one toggle switch on the gas furnace but I am not sure what it is for. I don't want to switch it off if it is safe to handle the low voltage system.

3. Basically, is it sufficient for me to just take the old thermostat out and put a new one in without touching anything in the boiler room?

I will hugely appreciate your answers. Thank you.

- Nirav

Last edited by nmehta; 10-31-05 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-31-05, 11:44 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The only way it will work is if the instructions with the stat say that it will operate on the batteries alone. Some "most" programmable stats require a common wire.

Old 10-31-05, 12:01 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The thermostat you have looks like it should work, but it's not really a good idea to work on the system while it's powered. Turn off the switch on the side of the furnace.

Doug M.

Old 10-31-05, 01:00 PM
nmehta
Visiting Guest
Question Installing thermostat

Thanks for your responses.

The t-stat does say it needs batteries for operation. So, I think I should be fine with just the RH and W wires.

The switch built into the side of the furnace goes to a Honeywell transformer which in turn goes to the furnace. I just want to make sure that this is the switch I need to flick before and after installation. Is there anything else I need to be careful about?

- Nirav

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: