Draft Inducer(?) constantly cycling outside of a heat cycle

Old 10-31-05, 10:17 AM
_JK_
Visiting Guest
Draft Inducer(?) constantly cycling outside of a heat cycle

I'm pretty sure that's what it is anyway. During a normal heat cycle, the motor will spin for a few seconds, then the burners will ignite, then the actual blower motor kicks on. The first thing that spins up is the draft inducer, correct?

Anyway, what was happening last night: Thermostat set to 64*. House is 71*. Draft inducer is kicking on/off non-stop...10sec on, 3s off or so. A while back it did this, and I kicked the thermo up to start a heat cycle, and it quit doing it after i set it back down. Now it won't stop cycling. Gave up and just turned the power off to the furnace before I went to work so I didn't burn out the motor/relay. Why would it do that? Fix?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-05, 11:39 AM
Only 2 things that I know of will cause this 1 is if the t-stat is sending intermitant signals to it for heat. The way to check this is to remove the wire attached to the "W" terminal of the stat. If it still does it I would with almost 99% suridnest say it's the board.

Is suridnest even a word ??

Old 10-31-05, 12:50 PM
_JK_
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by mattison
Only 2 things that I know of will cause this 1 is if the t-stat is sending intermitant signals to it for heat. The way to check this is to remove the wire attached to the "W" terminal of the stat. If it still does it I would with almost 99% suridnest say it's the board.

Is suridnest even a word ??
Thanks. I'll check the thermo tonight. What am I looking at as far as 'the board' costwise? User-replacable? I'd love it if it was just a thermostat. Am I using the right term for that part, draft inducer?

Old 11-01-05, 07:03 AM
_JK_
Visiting Guest
Pulled the W wire (heat signal?) and it quit. Ran out to Sears and grabbed a new Honeywell programmable thermo, and all was quiet tonight. We'll see how it stays in the long run.

Thanks! Just glad it was (so far) easy.