No "Whomp", No Heat...

Old 11-05-05, 04:49 AM
SemiHandy
Visiting Guest
No "Whomp", No Heat...

Howdy.

I have a Whirlpool Model NUGG050DD01 natural gas unit from the mid 80's in my condo in Georgia.

The condo has been vacant for about 7 months. I just recently moved back in, had the gas company come out and get the gas turned back on and lit all of the pilot lights.

The problem is, when I turn the thermostat up to get the heat to turn on, the unit does not seem to ignite. I hear a "click" like it did last year when it ignited but I can hear no flame ignition, nor does the blower come on.

Previously when I would turn up the thermostat, I would hear a click, followed immediately by a "whomp" of what I assume was the burners igniting and then the blower/fan would kick in a few minutes later, I am guessing when a certain temperature was reached at the burners.

The unit was working fine 7 months ago and no modifications have been made during that time, IE no new thermostat installed or anything.

The pilot is working fine.

I read a few posts and tried resetting the breaker a couple of times but that did not help.

I also pulled the cover off of the lower half of the unit where the filter is located and I can hear an audible "click" when I manually hold in the safety switch or put the cover back on.

The blower fan kicks in just fine in the AC mode of the unit and in the HEAT mode the fan works if I switch the thermostat manually from "AUTO" to "FAN" but unfortunately the pilot light does not generate enough heat in this fashion to keep the place warm =(.

What is my next step?

My second question is. When the gas guy was here, he said they could not light the pilot lights for me since there was not a "strainer" in place to catch oil in the lines. He stood there and watched me light the pilot since he could not do it. From what I gather there is a new code in place here in Georgia at least to install these strainers to capture the residual oil to decrease the chance of a fire. How important is this strainer? The unit has been fine for 25+ years with no fire. What is the likelyhood of a oil fire if I don't install this strainer?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
SemiHandy

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-05, 06:43 AM
Make sure the gas valve is turn to "ON".. I've had this happend and see that it was still left to "Pilot"..

If the valve is on, check for power to the gas valve.. if you are reading 24 volts, then the valve will need to be replaced.. If you have to replace it.. then I'd check into this screen that you are talkingabout.. I am not aware of this screen.. unless it's your local thing.

Old 11-05-05, 06:59 AM
SemiHandy
Visiting Guest
LOL Amazing, turned it to "ON" and fired right up. Thanks.

Old 11-05-05, 11:43 AM
hehe.. Glad to seeyou turned it on.