Damper actuator questions

Old 11-04-05, 03:37 PM
BuickGN
Visiting Guest
Damper actuator questions

Converting an old Honeywell zone control to a new EMM 3 Honeywell panel. I am using new t-stats but using the existing Honeywell M833 direct drive actuators. These are power open/spring close dampers.

Have wired everything up and the heat and ac are working fine.

The old zone control would have the dampers closed when the system is idle, the new zone control keeps them open. The instructions say that a power open/spring closed damper CAN be used with it.

These actuators seem to really heat up when open. (they were hot with the old zone control too) OK, here is my question! Is it OK to keep these actuators open for long periods of time? Seems like a waste of electricity powering them open all the time when the system isn't being used. They are 24v so they probably don't use that much power but just doesn't seem efficient to me. Where would be a good source for some power closed/ spring open dampers or should I leave well enough alone?

Existing actuators mount on a 1/2" shaft.

Old 11-05-05, 12:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
i see your problem, those motors will wear out faster if energized in the system off cycle

the dampers are not really compatible with the new board, can you post the model number ?

Old 11-05-05, 01:07 PM
BuickGN
Visiting Guest
They are a Honeywell M833. Probably made around 1968 or so.

I did a little rewiring so they are now both off when the system is idling. Working fine but they always opened real slow before, same now. When they were wired to stay open when the system was idle it would take a while for the damper for the zone not calling for heat/cooling to close, sort of defeating the purpose of zoning.

Old 11-09-05, 05:19 PM
BuickGN
Visiting Guest
Can anyone help me find some new actuators????

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: