Trane furnaces

Old 11-06-05, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane furnaces

Hey everyone,

We're needing to replace our furnace (18 years old, cracked heat exchanger) and I had a question about an estimate we got the other day. The heating/cooling man quoted us on two mid-range 80% gas furnaces from Trane, the XL80 and XR80.

I had done a little research on Trane furnaces prior to the estimate, and was looking at the lower end XB80 model since we won't be in this house too much longer. When I asked him about the XB80, he said they normally don't push that model since it's only $25 cheaper than the XR80.

On Trane's website, the XR80 had $$ and the XB80 had $ in it's price rating. Can there really be a difference of only $25, or is he trying to push a higher priced model?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-05, 08:03 PM
How old is the home? How long you plan on being in the home?

As for $$ group, it's hard to say.. It maybe demand are not needed for the XB line, and they wil have to order it. Prices do vary from area to area.

To be honest, don't bother with the XB lines.. They are pretty low end, and pretty basic.. Look at the XL or XR line

Where are you from?

Old 11-07-05, 03:26 PM
and was looking at the lower end XB80 model since we won't be in this house too much longer.

If I were considering buying your home one of the first questions I would ask is, "What are your heating bills?"

Old 11-08-05, 03:47 PM
Thanks Jay. The house is a little over 50 years old, and we'll probably be here another 5 years.

I wasn't necessarily set on the XB line, I just found it hard to believe there would only be $25 difference between the models, and wanted to make sure my contractor was being honest. If there really isn't much difference, I have no problem going with the better unit.

I'm going to get a few more estimates anyway, just to play out my best options. It hasn't gotten too cold yet, so we're getting by. We're in central Indiana, BTW.

Thanks again.

Old 11-08-05, 04:22 PM
milhouse

I am going to be a contrarian. First of all, nat gas is no longer a value fuel for winter heating. In fact, I doubt if you will see 80% AFUE gas furnaces on the market in the next several years. Why? Because of the skyrocketing cost of nat gas. While I like Trane gas furnaces, I would much rather see you purchase a low end budget/builder model 90%+ AFUE furnace for the better efficiency especially because of the area you live. I would look at Trane's XR90 and XB90 single stage gas furnaces .

My opinion.

Old 11-08-05, 06:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
80 vs 90

I would tend to concur with TigerDunes (except for the Trane part ). There are other brands, just as good or better at less cost. Just my opinion.

Old 11-08-05, 08:00 PM
And I would agree word for word with what Grady said

Old 11-09-05, 06:37 PM
Thanks guys. We did get another estimate on a Carrier Comfort 80, and it was a few hundred less than the Trane quote.

I may call back to get a quick estimate on the Comfort 92. Any thoughts on either of these units?

Old 11-09-05, 06:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Milhouse

Instead of the "big name brands" I suggest looking at some equipment by Heil, Tempstar, Armstrong, etc. These companies are less known but do make good equipment. They usually cost less because they don't spend the mega bucks on advertising.