Sideshot Help

Old 11-08-05, 06:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sideshot Help

Hi all,

I have an oil fired furnace. The exhaust vents through a sideshot. During the winter there is no problem. BUT after a long hot and humid summer, I get "white Stalagtites" from the single wall exhaust tube joints. My only guess is there is condensation during the summer that is causing this.

The other day I noticed the problem is out of control. I was working on some plumbing and realized the exhaust vent was deteoriated so badly, that I could poke my finger through the exhust pipe. I went to the local HVAC distributor, but could not find a good solution. I ended up purchasing the same single wall, 26 guage vent pipe just to get my furnace working.

During the removal I found LOTS of rusted pieces in the "Heat exchanger/Fire
box" (Where the exhust vent is attached to the furnace). I used a shop vac to clean it up. I can't believe it was working a few weeks ago.

Sorry for the long story, but I am afraid if this doesn't get rectified, I will end up having to replace the furnace much sooner than I would like. It is currently only 5 yrs old. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any ideas to fix this?

Thanks,
BB

Old 11-08-05, 01:53 PM
S
deleted message

Last edited by slls; 11-08-05 at 01:59 PM. Reason: sideshot not under stood at first
Old 11-08-05, 02:43 PM
Sorry. For those who are unfamiliar with the "sideshot", it is a power vent device. It power vents to the side of the house through the bandboard.

BB

Old 11-08-05, 06:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Sideshot

If at all possible, do away with the sideshot. I know it costs money to put up either a masonary or metal all fuel chimney but you will be ahead of the game in the long run. With all of the debris you found in the furnace, you need to get someone very familiar with oil heat in there to inspect/test that furnace. Every single customer with whom I've had contact who had a sideshot, regreted having it. Most have gone the chimney route. There is one, who as a matter of routine, replaces his vent pipe every year because stainless is so expensive.

Old 11-09-05, 04:20 PM
Thanks Grady. Unfortunately, I really have no option to get rid of the sideshots anytime soon. I actually have 2. One for my oil fired hot water heater, and one for my furnace. I am at the point I wish I had gotten a boiler instead. Oh Well. The one strange thing is the side shot for the h/w heater is fine. I really believe that the problem with the furnace sideshot is condensation during the summer months in the furnace vent line. I am going to try to put a Tee in line to capute the condensation. I will cap off the center leg that is in the down position. I hope this helps. Otherwise I will try to go th stainless route, but add the drip leg option.

BB

Old 11-09-05, 06:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Bb

I thought about a drip leg but honestly, unless the condensation is happening at a particular spot, I don't think it will help much. If you do end up going the stainless route, I would certainly add a drip leg before the vent pipe gets to the furnace. Otherwise the condensation is going to run back into the furnace and rust it out for sure.
I know it is a pain but here are some things which will likely help: (1) As soon as the heating season is over, have the furnace cleaned. Since fuel oil ash contains sulfur oxides, when moisture is present you create sulfuric acid. It is weak, but sulfuric acid none the less.
(2) Clean the vent pipe well & leave it disconnected from the furnace & install a cap or plug on the furnace flue outlet. Be sure to turn off the service switch (unless you have A/C) or disconnect the white thermostat wire on the primary control. This extra step will prevent the heater from being accidentally turned on while the vent is disconnected.

Old 11-10-05, 05:32 AM
I have been thinking of disconnecting the vent during the summer. Guess I'll try it next summer year. Time to add a switch on the white wire to lock out the the burner.

Thanks Again,
BB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: