Sleeping With Space Heaters

Old 11-11-05, 04:58 PM
Sleeping With Space Heaters

I hear that you cannot sleep with a gas space heater in a room. But my question is, what if it is vented to the outside (unlike ventless models)? I am unsure, because I am in the process of getting a new space heater, to replace the ventless one we have. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-05, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by electric1
I hear that you cannot sleep with a gas space heater in a room. But my question is, what if it is vented to the outside (unlike ventless models)? I am unsure, because I am in the process of getting a new space heater, to replace the ventless one we have. Thanks!
That's a new one on me. If it's vented, I can't see why not.

Just be sure that you have it vented per code to help avoid downdrafts. From year ago, I can remember that chimneys had to be 2 feet higher, minimum, from any part of the roof it would intersect on a horizontal run, 10 feet away.

Vented or not vented...I would be sure to get a CO detector and have it near your bed . You can also buy combination CO and natural gas leak detectors.

Old 11-11-05, 05:45 PM
I hear that it leaving a space heater on unattended is dangerous (and sleeping for that matter). Is there anything I can do to minimize this safety concern?

Old 11-11-05, 06:16 PM
Any gas appliance needs combustion air to operate. For a sleeping are I would advise to clear with local code enforcement. Having said that if you are going to install in sleeping area I would suggest using a sealed combustion unit (combustion air comes from outside). You need to have an outside wall to vent thru.

Old 11-11-05, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by mbk3
Any gas appliance needs combustion air to operate. For a sleeping are I would advise to clear with local code enforcement. Having said that if you are going to install in sleeping area I would suggest using a sealed combustion unit (combustion air comes from outside). You need to have an outside wall to vent thru.
That's very true. You wouldn't want to be in a tiny bedroom whose door had no gap under the door, for example. And fresh air to the burner would indeed be good, if possible.

People can get so hung up on just the CO problem that they forget, like the lapse *I* myself had, that you don't want to create an oxygen depletion situation, either.

Old 11-12-05, 11:47 AM
I have tight construction....A sealed combustion unit would be the way to go if I want the room sleepable?

FYI, the room is 23' L by 12' W, by 7.5' H. We already have a hole that is in the wall from the previous owner, when they had an old vented heater. But it is near the ceiling. Does the vent hole have to be behind the unit in sealed combustion units? I hope not, b/c I already have a hole up top.

Old 11-12-05, 04:45 PM
I have tight construction....A sealed combustion unit would be the way to go if I want the room sleepable?

FYI, the room is 23' L by 12' W, by 7.5' H. We already have a hole that is in the wall from the previous owner, when they had an old vented heater. But it is near the ceiling. Does the vent hole have to be behind the unit in sealed combustion units? I hope not, b/c I already have a hole up top.
Here is something to read:

http://doityourself.com/hvac/combustionspaceheat.htm

Old 11-12-05, 04:57 PM
Well, that says " DO NOT leave a portable heater running unattended or while you sleep. Do not use a portable heater in a bedroom." Condradictory to what was stated earlier
That's a new one on me. If it's vented, I can't see why not.
That's why am I little confused...

EDIT: Wait, does the term "portable heater" refer to unvented heaters? (which I am getting rid of anyway?)

Old 11-12-05, 06:32 PM
Well, that says " DO NOT leave a portable heater running unattended or while you sleep. Do not use a portable heater in a bedroom." Condradictory to what was stated earlier

That's why am I little confused...

EDIT: Wait, does the term "portable heater" refer to unvented heaters? (which I am getting rid of anyway?)
I presume that in the operable word "portable", it would be unvented. How many portable gas heaters are vented...like someone is going to be moving around heaters, disconnecting pipe out of the wall, and then going to another room a couple hours later and cutting a new hole in the wall to vent it there...so they can call it potrtable?