single stage thermostat on 2 stage furnace

Old 11-12-05, 07:50 AM
paleale2
Visiting Guest
single stage thermostat on 2 stage furnace

I just purchased a new Goodman 92% high efficiency furnace with variable speed blower. My reasoning was the ability to regulate the house temperature more accurately as it is supposed to operate most of the time on the lower power setting and not cyle on and off so much. Even though it isnt cold yet, the furnace seems to cycle on and off just like a single stage. It starts off on low for about 30 seconds, runs on what seems like high for 5 or so minutes, shifts back to low for the final 30 seconds, and then off. Is this due to the fact that the thermostat is only a single stage programmable? How does a 2 stage thermostat differ?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-05, 08:23 AM
If it isn't cold yet, and the unit is running at full blast then it is going to cycle on and off more.

If it is on a 1 stage t-stat then it is running at full blast.

It may have a timer in it that when the call for heat comes it lights the low stage and burns for a little bit before lighting the high stage.

Not being familiar with this brand I don't know, but you might be able to adjust the timer somehow if it has a control board in it, but the best thing to do would be get a 2 stage t-stat hooked up to it.

Old 11-12-05, 02:04 PM
I can relate

Call your installer back!
I just had a new 2 stage furnace put in my home too with a 1 stage t-stat. I questioned the operation, as it would take one hour to heat the house up 1 deg celcius, and it did not appear that the furnace was increasing speed or anything. I thought this was very unusual. The installer came back, and they had to change a jumper on the computer board in the furnace to compensate for the single stage thermostat.
hopefully your issue is as simple.