magic chef oil furnace won't light

Old 11-13-05, 05:49 AM
J-Ho
Visiting Guest
magic chef oil furnace won't light

I have an old Magic Chef (L62-95D-17) forced air oil furnace. It has worked fine for the past three years that I have been living in this house. I recently installed a programmable thermostat and things worked fine. I had the furnace serviced a week and a half ago, and everything looked fine. Last week, I woke up one morning cold, because the heat had not come on even though it was programmed to do so. I pushed the red "restart" button on the furnace and it came on, but gave off some smoke at the beginning. It worked fine until this morning when I woke up cold again. Now when I push the red "restart" button, it makes a lot of noise for a minute or so and then turns off. It evidently is not firing. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I have to call the professionals?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-05, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do NOT press that button more than twice, or you are going to get the oil filled up in the heat exchanger..

Be best to call the dealer back and warranity the call.

Was it an oil dealer who servied it, or just a regular shop? Did this service tech know oil and used tools to test it?

Old 11-13-05, 10:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by J-Ho
I have an old Magic Chef (L62-95D-17) forced air oil furnace. It has worked fine for the past three years that I have been living in this house. I recently installed a programmable thermostat and things worked fine. I had the furnace serviced a week and a half ago, and everything looked fine. Last week, I woke up one morning cold, because the heat had not come on even though it was programmed to do so. I pushed the red "restart" button on the furnace and it came on, but gave off some smoke at the beginning. It worked fine until this morning when I woke up cold again. Now when I push the red "restart" button, it makes a lot of noise for a minute or so and then turns off. It evidently is not firing. Is there anything I can do to fix this, or do I have to call the professionals?
Most copmmon problem is that the "nozzle" needs repacing.

Or it could be that the electrodes spacing is not right/all goobered up.

Or the transformer (puts out super high voltage) went out.

Or there is some relay in that control box, that is usally attached to the exhaust duct pipe, that is acting like it has a glitch, like what can happen when the points ge burned. That is when the funcace works good one time, but not the next.

Working on oil furnaces and goes over most peoples heads. And it is becoming a lost art as more and more people, even service repair people, are getting away from these. It is a dirty filthy business, also. I have some experience with these.

I was a maintenance man on a commercial building that had 26 water to air heat pumps and an old oil burner. The first time we hired one of the local big companies that delivers oil and works on oil furnaces. The worker spent a total of 2 days on that furnace and charged my boss almost $900!. It went out about 1 month later again. Same problem! This time, *I* fixed it for like $20, by pulling the electodes and cleaning them up, and readjusting them.

Old 11-13-05, 10:56 AM
Wink

Its a lot in like has been said here, Do you feel up to going into the burner or not . Id say call the tech that worked on it and get hin to fix it for sure. Are the electrodes set right and are they good? Did he change nozzle, filter, check pump Psi, set draft over fire .Check stack temp and Co2???????????? is the 10,000Volt transformer ok there. Dont hit that red button more than 2 times.

ED

Old 11-16-05, 05:13 PM
J-Ho
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input. I had the service technician back at the house yesterday morning. It was so warm, that we hadn't needed the heat. WE turned up the thermostat and the damn thing turned on and lit up. It worked fine for him everytime he tried to light it. He adjusted the air flow, saying that too much air might blow the spark away before igniting the oil. Now the real kicker, a front has moved through, it is going to get really cold tonight and the damn thing won't turn on. I can't afford the overtime hours to get someone out here tonight. Any other ideas on what might be wrong, so I can sound intelligent when they come around again.

The service invoice said he replaced the nozzle and oil filter, oiled the burner moter, cleaned the firing head and electrodes. Checked controls, flue pipe, draft and operation. Oh well....

Old 11-16-05, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No heat

Since they were just there yesterday, they should not charge you for any labor. Don't do anything to it. Equipment is hard to fix when it won't act up for the service person.
When the servicer comes, make sure they check the ignition transformer, primary control, & start switch on the burner motor.

Old 11-17-05, 02:35 PM
As said before, does the Tech KNOWS oil?? Just eye balling may not work! Did the do test of fire/smoke/draft/temp/CO?????