Natural Gas Furnace problems

Old 11-15-05, 08:22 PM
sgonch
Visiting Guest
Natural Gas Furnace problems

Hi guys,

I just bought a house, with gas Rheem impereal 90 plus furnace and few days ago started to havea problem with it.
The breaker on the furnace shuts of power to the control module. We cleaned all contacts. At first it seemed tha tit was caused by change of the cycle, but today it shut off in the middle of one. But also if its set on hold tepreture then it works fine.
Any sugestions on what could be causing this? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-05, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the model # of the unit?

Are you talking about a external breaker on the power supply to the unit?

if so, does it get warm before it trips?

Old 11-16-05, 11:34 AM
sgonch
Visiting Guest
model number is Rheen Imperial 90 plus.
Its internal breaker, the red button that pops up and no power gets to the Control Box

Old 11-16-05, 04:29 PM
YOu'll need to remove the cover, and on the side there should be a model # spec info..

This red button sounds like a safety button.. Where is this near, the burners?

Not knowing the full model# you may have an heat exchanger issues.. Rheem had a few recalls while back on the Drums, and late 80's..

Old 11-16-05, 05:00 PM
If it is the little red button I would bet the heat exchangers are busted.

Only times I have ever seen those buttons pop has been because of that reason.

You do have CO detectors in your house right?

Old 11-16-05, 09:41 PM
sgonch
Visiting Guest
Model Nomber is RGEA 10ECAFS
There are two wires that go to that switch.
ONe goes to "Fan Limits" and another looks like it goes to the control box with 25 volts.
It seems the ventelation motor is over heating.
what can be done?

Old 11-17-05, 05:16 AM
1st off, have you changed your air filter ?? Made sure all vents are uncovered and open ??

Old 11-17-05, 06:59 AM
sgonch
Visiting Guest
Yep, done all that. It all started when we changed the battery on the conrtoll unit on the wall. What could happen if I for example bypass the switch altogether?

Old 11-18-05, 12:59 PM
sgonch
Visiting Guest
Guys,
It seems that the roll outwitch gets tripped, so probably means that the heat exchanger is cracked. But could anything else cause this? I am jsut wondering because its not a cheap replacement...

Old 11-18-05, 03:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We can speculate on other things, like a loose ventor fan blade that is no longer spinning out the exhaust gases the way it should, or some other things.

What I would do, is to speculate on the heat exchanger theory, and run the furnace and see if the flame jumps differently when the blower comes on. If it does, it definitely is the heat exchanger. Nothing else can cause this flame changing it's burn pattern.

But if the roll out switch trips out the furnace before the blower even starts, making it so you can't tell, you may want to bypass the roll out switch by jumpering the two wires together *temporarily*, just for the test.

Then let us know what you observe.

Old 11-19-05, 08:36 AM
sgonch
Visiting Guest
Well I did took a look at the flame as it turned on and the fan kkciked it. THere was no change. BUt some time later hour or two, the fan was blowing but the flame on one side was going outside a bit.

Old 11-19-05, 09:00 AM
If the flame is moving off side/.out.. then you have problems.. DO NOT run it anymore till ti been serviced.

It been awhile that I've been around these older Rheem. I know they had recalls on the heat exchanger, also burners.... So call a Rheem/Ruud dealer to have it checked..

I had to replace alot heat exchanger/burners on them.

Old 11-19-05, 11:12 AM
Jay11J-
Do you know what the issue for the recall was? I have a Rheem with a pretty rusty looking heat exchanger (thread started yesterday on this board). When the blower comes on, though, the flames don't alter in any way.
Also, is the roll out switch the same as the overtemperature switch?

Old 11-19-05, 10:35 PM
sgonch
Visiting Guest
Well the thing is that heath echange and burners look preatty new, there is no rust or anything on them.

Old 11-20-05, 08:45 AM
Recall was heat exchanger cracking, and burner not working right..

So it can rusty as a rust bucket, or good as new and have a crack.

Sounds like Shank is a Rheem dealer, he maybe able to look it up and see what the recall model # was.. I don't off hand since it been 12 years for me.

Otherwise, contact your Rheem/Ruud dealer..

As for a rusty heat exchanger, you may not have a crack.. just needs to be cleaned, also checking it to see if it's still strong.

Old 11-20-05, 09:13 PM
Old 11-21-05, 08:55 AM
sgonch
Visiting Guest
Well, thats a lot everyone found the problem. Looks at the heat echange and saw what appears to be a crack in of the sides. It appears that at first the air gets in, but goes up so it doesn't effect the burners, then it straitens probably from heat, and then after some time it moves further and air getsin going down, and that causes flame to get outside a bit. Guess probably the best would be to get a new furnace altogether because replacing heat h echange is kinda pricy.

Also do you guys know how recent can the crack be? I mean could it be that is cracked 3 weeks ago or does it usually take longer?
Cause out home inspector claims he checked the furnace and it was fine (Altho it was warm and furnace wasn't working at the time...) and that was about 3-4 weeks ago.

Last edited by sgonch; 11-21-05 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-22-05, 01:20 PM
sgonch
Visiting Guest
Well, had Rheem technition come in. He said the heath exchange had the biggest crack he ever saw, if he saw anythign that huge...
Can't really stop using it as its 40 Feringhite hight In IL.
So he is patching in up then we replace it.

Thank you for all you help guys, I really apressiate it.

Old 11-22-05, 08:50 PM
How is he patching up the heat exchanger?

I wouild NOT use this... Get a couple of space heaters... Hope you got a CO alarm in the house?

Old 11-23-05, 01:06 PM
sgonch
Visiting Guest
Yes We Have CO detector. Patching is not exactaly the right he blocked the burner that goes to the damaged part so it works at 75%.

Not sure about space hitters, temp being 30 feringhite.... kinda chilly

Old 11-23-05, 01:51 PM
We didn't have heat yeast year for about week and half, and used one of those oil filled heater in the family room, and one in the bedroom.. It was enough to keep us warm in those room.. Kitchen became warm from the oven.