New to Propane Heat

Old 11-17-05, 04:11 AM
johnemi1
Visiting Guest
New to Propane Heat

I bought a mobile home that has a 7 year old propane furnace. The place has not been lived in for 2 years. There is no tank outside. What do I need to do as far as getting it inspected when I first get it delivered, connected and turned on? Do I need to get it inspected? I have never dealt with propane before and know nothing about it.

Emily

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-05, 02:19 PM
CountryDweller2
Visiting Guest
New to Propane

I'm not sure how it works with a trailer, but at my house I just called my local propane supplier (Hick's Gas) and they came out and set up a 500 gallon tank, pressure tested it and filled it up. I only paid for the propane so I think rental of the tank is included in the cost of the gas. Oh and they also "inspected" my supply line to the house, but it's all underground so they just looked where it came into the basement. Hope this helps.

Old 11-17-05, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The gas company you chose should be able to do a full inspection when they install their equiptment. If the gas lines and equiptment were original with the home, there shouldn't be any issues as far as being up to code.

As far as the furnace goes, not being used for two years, it might need some cob webs blown out. The gas company should be able to check and make sure it's burning properly when they fire it up.

Old 11-18-05, 04:29 AM
johnemi1
Visiting Guest
Got some answers

I went to my local supplier (Southern States) and they were very very helpful. He said that they will deliver the new tank, put in new hose if needed and check for any leaks. They have a set up charge of around $50 for the first time, charge around $2 per foot of hose, put in 2 valves, and give you 50 gals of gas for free for the first time! For my 873 sq ft MH, he said a 325 tank which holds 550 gals? would do just fine. This really gave me piece of mind. I will make sure I vacuum everything really well first! Thanks