pilot light goes out after time

Old 11-17-05, 10:43 AM
sneech
Visiting Guest
Unhappy pilot light goes out after time - flame is yellow

I have a vented propane heater with pilot light. It starts normally, I can turn the heat up but it shuts off and the pilot light goes out after 15 min to 1 hour. This unit worked perfectly last season. My pilot light flame is yellow. Also, the main flame going out might be making the pilot go out, but I don't know why this happens. I'm stumped! Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by sneech; 11-17-05 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-17-05, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The flame hitting the thermocouple is being drawn away, ever so slightly, when the burner comes on due to up draft. You need to either increase the pilot adjusting screw on you gas valve to let more pilot flame out, to strike the thermocouple, or you have to perform surgery and monkey with the hood of the pilot to help steer the fire into the thermocouple better and or try to bend the tip of the thermocouple into the pilot flame more. I have made repairs like this on such space heaters. Because the fire is not going out right away...i doubt it is the failure of the thermocouple itself. However, one of the first things you should do is try to tighten the copper cappilary tube of the thermocouple where it enters the gas valve. Use a SMALL wrench! and do not overtighten! But make sure it is snug.

Old 11-17-05, 07:11 PM
S
Pilot light should not be a yellow flame. check the gas pressure, and remove the pilot assembly and make sure the orfice is not partially stopped up or anything.

While you have the assembly out wipe the thermocouple clean cause a yellow flame will cause soot to form on it.

Old 11-18-05, 05:08 AM
sneech
Visiting Guest
Red face A fix that may work for you

Bonehead's advise to perform minor surgery on the pilot and thermocouple, bending them slightly so that they made better contact prevented the pilot from going out when the burner cycled off, worked for me.

Old 11-18-05, 04:09 PM
Since I practically work for free, because I am unlicensed in everything, but pretty good at all that I do....it gives me satisfaction to be able to help out. I feel God then is smiling down on me. Plus fixing things sort of strokes the male ego I think.

A couple years ago, this woman with bags and bags of groceries, who had to get home on a hot day, had her car not start, right in front of me. A crowd gathered around to see if they could help. Well, I had all my tools and supplies in my work van. Got out, tested with a wire puncturing probe, found a burned out primary fusible link (I do work on cars also and should visit THAT forum), and wired her back in a temporary smaller gauge homemade fusible link...told her to be sure to tell her husband what I did, so that he could re evaluate and do the job permamently, at his discretion, to abscond myself of liability...and had her on her way in about 20 minutes. That made my day.

Old 11-18-05, 04:56 PM
S
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Since I practically work for free, because I am unlicensed in everything, but pretty good at all that I do....it gives me satisfaction to be able to help out. I feel God then is smiling down on me. Plus fixing things sort of strokes the male ego I think.

A couple years ago, this woman with bags and bags of groceries, who had to get home on a hot day, had her car not start, right in front of me. A crowd gathered around to see if they could help. Well, I had all my tools and supplies in my work van. Got out, tested with a wire puncturing probe, found a burned out primary fusible link (I do work on cars also and should visit THAT forum), and wired her back in a temporary smaller gauge homemade fusible link...told her to be sure to tell her husband what I did, so that he could re evaluate and do the job permamently, at his discretion, to abscond myself of liability...and had her on her way in about 20 minutes. That made my day.
Where I live if you are not licensed, you charge a fee and you are caught you are in big trouble. The liability is another. I can work on anybodyís furnace I want as long as I donít charge a fee. Itís called assisting the owner.

Old 11-18-05, 05:06 PM
That's why, unfortunately for me, that I only work for landlords. The inspectors turn a blind eye to some of us maintenance men that they personally know who have been in the business for years without any record of complaints, accidents, etc. The all know that landlords use maintenance men and would go broke without them. But I can only make like 1/5th of what the licensed guys make.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: