oil furnace transformer

Old 11-18-05, 09:15 AM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question oil furnace transformer

Back in 2003 I had technician analyze problem with oil furnace not starting automatically when thermastat called for heat as being the transformer. Back then they charged me $130 for transformer plus labour. Recently furnace would not start so i called same service company and they sent technician (different from Technician in 2003) he diagnosed system and said that transformer is gone, so he replaced it (invoice shows #456 Transfprmer) the charge was $200 for transformer plus labour. Could transformer burn out in 2 years?? Should the transformer which was installed in 2003 have a warranty? How do i test transformer to see if it really is bad?
Should srevice company show me some kind of mercy if warranty has run out?
Thank-you so much for any help !!!

Old 11-18-05, 03:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No. They won't have mercy on you, sorry to say. A deal is a deal. That is why they have stipulated time periods for warrantees. They don't go, "Oh...you seem like a nice guy. I feel sorry for you. Usually transformers last for 37 1/2 years. But yours only lasted 2? How unlucky can you get. I tell you what. I will prorate it and charge you 75 cents." Ha. Not a chance.

Why did it burn out? Could be anything from a defect to a possible short at the electrodes, possibly.

How do you test? Your typical handy-dandy volt meter only goes to 600 volts. Transformers are like 10,000! I think just a resistance check would do it if you can find out what the specs are for this. Also you need to make sure that each wire can not complete a ground to the metal body of the transformer, which would indicate a dead short. You simply use the volt meter set on ohms, and put one lead of the voltmeter on one transformer wire, with the other lead touching the metal of the transformer. The indicator should not move to the right.

Make sure the power is off when fiddling with these transformers!!!!!

Old 11-18-05, 04:47 PM
S
Originally Posted by luca1
Back in 2003 I had technician analyze problem with oil furnace not starting automatically when thermastat called for heat as being the transformer. Back then they charged me $130 for transformer plus labour. Recently furnace would not start so i called same service company and they sent technician (different from Technician in 2003) he diagnosed system and said that transformer is gone, so he replaced it (invoice shows #456 Transfprmer) the charge was $200 for transformer plus labour. Could transformer burn out in 2 years?? Should the transformer which was installed in 2003 have a warranty? How do i test transformer to see if it really is bad?
Should srevice company show me some kind of mercy if warranty has run out?
Thank-you so much for any help !!!
This is how I would test it. Install the old transformer, if it works you know they did something else to repair it.

Old 11-18-05, 07:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Transformer

I don't know where you live but around here, an ignition transformer sells for about $60 or so, retail to the customer.
I can tell you how to test it, if you are not shy about working with 10,000 volts.

Old 11-19-05, 01:17 PM
S
You mean like sticking a screw driver through one spring to gap the other then wire it to 115 volts.

Old 11-19-05, 07:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
slls

I didn't say that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: