natural gas - black dirt over everything

Old 11-20-05, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
natural gas - black dirt over everything

I moved into this house 5 yrs ago- everything was covered with this black film of dirt. I mean everything. ex: when the closet doors are closed all the time there is black line of dirt(solid black line) under where the door is located on the carpet. On the wood work- dressers need wiped down all the time and its always this black film coming off and its seems to have an oily base to it-now you can tell where all the seams are located. The draperies have to be dry cleaned all the time-the dry cleaners cant even tell me what they think it is but its there all the same. The walls are the same way-this black film. The furniture I have to keep covered because of it. The light switches -in every grove it is black. I dont dare removed a picture- the outline of the frame is very defined by this blackness-especially when it is located under a air duct. When I removed a rug to clean or sweep-the same thing-the outline of the rug is very defined because of this black film. I have never heard of this before. When I change my filter to the furnace -its there black as can be. I change my filters every month-faithfully. The furnace is located in the basement. One furnace man said its not the furnace..then what could it be. I know its stemming from the furnace. The only time I dont get this film is durning the summertime when the furnace is not running. Any ideas. I so upset- to had new carpet installed and within a years time the outline of all my furniture is defined by this blackness. Can anyone tell me which direction I should go...I desperate at this point in time..

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-05, 10:39 PM
Do you burn candles?

Dryer vented outside?

Old 11-20-05, 10:56 PM
No i dont burn candles and the dryer is vented from the outside.

Old 11-21-05, 07:29 AM
Ok.. The candles is out then.. Of what you just said is common when people burns candles often/long time.. Also worst on cheap chandles..

How old is the home?

Do you have free standing room air cleaner?? if yes, What brand?

Old 11-21-05, 09:18 AM
The house was built in 1966 and I no clue of a air filtering system.

Old 11-21-05, 10:27 AM
ok, Air cleaner is out of the question.. Reason I asked about that if you have one , some model has idozine (SP) on it. What happens when dust goes pass this, it charges the dust, and the charged dust is then sticks to the walls furnature...

Where are you from???

Are you near a factory? Neighbors has this problems in thier home?

Pets, kids?

Old 11-21-05, 03:12 PM
I would say you have a cracked heat exchanger, call another tech from a large well known company.

Old 11-21-05, 04:25 PM
I too would suggest getting a well established company in there to check the heat exchanger.

Whats the make and model of your furnace??

My 1st guess would have been the candles though.

Old 11-21-05, 07:41 PM
Hello again. And thank you so much for the suggestions.
ans to questions: my neighbors dont have any problems with their furnace. I dont live near any factories.
I finally pulled the the packet for the furnace. It is a GNI series-induced draft high efficiency upflow/horizontal gas fired furnace. I have a name of product management dealer products group and ACO operations on the warranty cert and inter-city products corporation iin red bud IL. So take a guess, its not clear of the manufacture of this furnace.
Could you give me a ball park figure on an heat exchanger. Limited income in this household. Thanks so much again.

Found it - its a comfortmaker RPJ II by inter city products the control is a white house rogers 50A50

Last edited by njbishop; 11-21-05 at 10:05 PM.