Closing off chimney inlet opening? (Converting to direct vent appliance)

Old 11-24-05, 10:33 AM
chrisjs
Visiting Guest
Question Closing off chimney inlet opening? (Converting to direct vent appliance)

The masonry chimney in my 50 year old house currently has three vent pipes entering it in the basement. One for a little coal stove, one for an oil furnace, and one for a natural gas water heater. The chimney is on the inside of the house (not on an exterior wall).

The coal stove doesn't get used, and I'm coverting the oil furnace to a direct-vent gas furnace. I'll be removing those two from the chimney but leaving the gas water heater venting there.

How do I go about properly closing off the two holes? There's at least one other spot on the chimney where it looks like there used to be an inlet, and it looks like some sort of pipe cap was just cemented into it.

The outer part of the chimney is cinderblock (not concrete block) and I don't know anything about the liner, if there even is one. I also have no intention of reusing the chimney for anything other than the water heater in the future, and I may even switch that to a direct vent unit at some point.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-05, 02:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chimney

You can insert a plug & cement over it. It would be a good idea to close off the top at the same time. Your water heater is likely improperly vented as well. Most flues are too large for just a water heater.

Old 11-27-05, 05:59 PM
chrisjs
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks!

Thanks for your help!