honeywell thermostat cycle rate

Old 11-26-05, 07:37 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
honeywell thermostat cycle rate

I just put in a Honeywell RTH 7400, but I notice a frequent cycle rate, which is normal and about 5 or 6 times per hour and not adjustable per Honeywell phone FAQ and website.

But there is a cycle choice in installer setup that asks for different types of heating, like less than or over 90% (I have gas furnace forced air). How does choosing (faking out the thermostat) a different type of heater affect the performance. To me, freq cycling will wear out my parts sooner.

Old 11-26-05, 10:10 AM
S
Just try different setting until you find one you like, it won't hurt anything. I have an oil furnace and I set mine on 90%,hot water ,heat pump.

Old 11-26-05, 01:30 PM
You can set it at 3, you be the judge if you are happy with the temp range.

Old 11-26-05, 02:51 PM
M
So I can choose the cycle rate from a range of 1 to 9 and Honeywell just assigns heating types to generally correspond? Lower is longer cycle/greater temp swing?

Old 11-26-05, 06:46 PM
Yes, you are right..

It all depends on the heating system.. some system has a lot of mass, so if you run the system longer, the temp may shoot over your set point, and may be awhile before it cycles on.. So it means larger temp swing... some time with the swing, a person can feel the 2-3 temp change.

Like I said before, you set it at 3, and be the judge at that.

With my 60,000 BTU system. it on 3, and temp set point is very tight.

On my old furnace it was 115,000, and it would of for sure over shot the set point.

Old 02-18-08, 11:28 AM
N
Honeywell thermostat cycle rate

I know this is an old thread and I have basically the same question as the person who originally started the thread, but I want to ask the question again just to make sure I understand the answer.

I just had a Trane XL90, 2-stage high efficiency gas furnace installed, along with a Honeywell RTH7400 2-stage t-stat. The furnace is cycling 5 times per hour, which is more than I care for. I would like to set it to 3.

Because I have option 0170 in the installer mode set to "9 - Conventional Multi-Stage System (2 Heat, 1 Cooling stage)", the t-stat doesn't give me the 0240 option to set the cycle rate. It is automatically set at 5 cycles per hour (skips from 0180 to 0320).

Here is part of the response I received from Honeywell on a question that I sent them:

"The information provided indicates that your thermostat has been configured for a two stage heating and one stage cooling system. In this case, the installer setup feature 0240 is factory set to option 5 which cannot be changed and a result of which it does not come up while going through the installer setup features."

If I set the 0170 setting to "1 - Heat/Cool", I am guessing that I may then get the 0240 option and be able to set the cycle rate (haven't tried it yet). However, will the t-stat then simply act like a single stage t-stat and the furnace will dictate when the 2nd stage kicks based on a pre-set timer? Or, will the t-stat function the exact same way and I will be able to now adjust the cycle rate to 3?

Thanks!

Old 02-18-08, 12:29 PM
I find that odd that it can't allow you to change #240.

I am going to take a look at one close at work and see if that is a fact, it won't be till wed since I am off till then.

You could change it to 1 stage, but you won't be getting what the furnace is really suppse to be hook up to.

If you want a real stat, look for the FocusPro or VisionPro stats.

Old 02-22-08, 10:52 AM
N
Thumbs up

Thanks for the response and the suggestion for a real stat. I have decided to splurge and upgrade to the VisionPro IAQ. Sounds like I'll be able to adjust the cycle rate, temp range (may try slightly larger range) and will also eliminate the manual dial for the furnace humidifier control

Old 02-22-08, 03:03 PM
The IAQ is a very nice stat, and I am very pleased with mine.

Is your furnace a two stage?

Old 02-24-08, 07:20 PM
N
Yes, it is a Trane XL90, 2-stage. Do you have any tips for setting up the installer setup options on the new IAQ with a 2-stage furnace?

Old 02-24-08, 07:27 PM
Just follow the book on set up menu, and you'll be good.. if you have any questions on a set up, let me know.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: