Furnace power vent

Old 12-05-05, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace power vent

Hi,

I am looking for information reguarding the power vent on my furnace and water heater. It is vented through the side wall using a galvanized coaxial pipe. I understand the exhaust goes through the inner pipe and cold air comes in through the outer pipe. The concern I have is the outer pipe is open into the utility room, therefore allowing the cold winter air into the room. Is this the correct hook up? Is there a better way to direct the cold air to it's destination. My home was built in 1966 and is not one of the new "air tight" homes. I would like to stop the draft if I can do it safely. There is no chimmney for use as an alternate exhaust.
Thank you,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-05, 09:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Power vent

Is this for gas or oil? The power vents with which I am familiar just sweep the cold air over the hot exhaust to help cool the exhaust & discharge both the exhaust & the outside air they brought in. The cold air does not go into the space.

Old 12-06-05, 07:10 AM
Hi Grady,
Thank you for your reply. This is for a gas forced air type furnace.
The setup is a typical single wall pipe from furnace and water heater (gas also) this goes over to the co-axial pipe with a double wall inner and outer chamber. Hot exhaust gas goes through the inner and cold air on outer chamber surrounding hot exhaust (inner) pipe just like a zero clearance fireplace setup. But I can see daylight where it passes through the exterior wall and goes to termination cap on side of house not more that 18" away. The outer pipe is just open into the furnace room and I can't imagine this is correct. Can I close the outer pipe off from getting into the room? I understand the need for the outer chamber and do not intend on eliminating it just sealing the cold air out.
Thank you, Jeff

Old 12-06-05, 07:22 AM
I would not advise closing this air path off.. You need to have make up into the furnace room when this fan is pulling the hot exhaust away from the furnace and water heater.

I only seen one of these.. but Grady maybe able to answer the question better.

Old 12-06-05, 10:01 AM
Hi Jay11J

I had a hunch that was the purpose That is why I had mentioned my house was not one of the new "air-tight homes". Any ideas as to what can be done to SAFELY curb the cold air intake? Options are always good.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 12-06-05, 11:24 AM
Can you post a picture ?? I bet it's just where they ran B-vent through a combustable wall.

Old 12-06-05, 01:37 PM
Hey Kool-Aid,
I will see if I can borrow a digital camera and post a picture. It may take a couple of days. If I understand what you are reffering to about the "pass-thru" Then I would say you are correct. The only area where they used this coaxial pipe is thru the wall at which point they hooked the furnace and water heater pipe up to the inside only. Nothing on the outer portion of the pipe. Great name by the way, reminds me of my younger days.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 12-13-05, 07:21 AM
Well I have a picture to post but I don't believe I can post it for some reason. I have read the FAQ and it says to hit the "browse" button but I don't see one.
Jeff

Old 12-13-05, 07:44 AM
This web site won't allow you to post.. It used to, then they got upset cuz we were posting pictures of products sold by some one else, not doityoursel.com! :-(

You will need to post the pictures on another photo host like yahoo/MSN, and link us there.

Old 12-13-05, 09:26 AM
Thanks for solving that mystery for me Jay. I will see if I can sort that out and post it.
Thanks again, Jeff