janitrol gmp050-3 problems starting

Old 12-06-05, 06:02 PM
jmantoo1
Visiting Guest
Unhappy janitrol gmp050-3 problems starting

my heater will try to start but as soon as the induction motor tries to come on it turns off and sometimes it runs right when it wont come on i can turn it off and on a couple of times and it will come on sometimes it will work right away some times i have to turn it off a few times to get it to work i changed the pressure switch no change please help

Old 12-06-05, 08:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You are saying soon as you call for heat, the inducer fan motor comes on, then shuts off right away?

have you taken readings to see if the board is getting power all times?

Old 12-06-05, 08:42 PM
jmantoo1
Visiting Guest
Talking janitrol gmp050-3 problems starting

Hi Jay,
What I am trying to say is : It does not get to the flame part. When MY heater comes on the inducer motor comes on at the same time and then the igniter and flame. I am not getting that far. As soon as it tries to turn itself on, The motor will try to start and then the system shuts down. If I wait on it, It will start after awhile. It does not do this everytime, YET. When it fails to come on, I can turn unit on and off at the switch a couple of times, And then it will fire up and work fine until the end fo the cycle, then it may work four times and then it may not work the next time. If I wait it may work or I can flip a switch and it will work. As far as the meter, I don`t have one But some of my kin are electricians. What kind do I need? I have checked
The LED light with the cover off, When this happens, and the light shows everything ok. Thanks for your help. It is cold in Dallas for the next couple of days and I need the heater. LOL

Old 12-08-05, 11:45 AM
jmantoo1
Visiting Guest
please help

please help me with this problem when i call for heat the inducer motor tries to start but turns off it works sometimes and sometimes it dont
thank you with your help
ps has a new pressure switch

Old 12-08-05, 04:19 PM
If you can get your electrician "kin" to check to ensure the inducer is getting voltage when it's trying to start, that's where you want to start. If it's getting voltage and it's not starting then it needs replaced.

Old 02-17-07, 08:08 AM
A
Hi jmantoo1,

Were you able to find a solution to your problem? I'm just wondering because my heater does the same thing and I honestly don't understand a lot of technical things. I want to know a little bit more information before calling a place to fix it, that way, we will not spend too much time guessing.

Could you please share what you did and if it does fix it?

Thanks,

Janice

P.S. I had a new switch and new Thermostat too...

Originally Posted by jmantoo1
my heater will try to start but as soon as the induction motor tries to come on it turns off and sometimes it runs right when it wont come on i can turn it off and on a couple of times and it will come on sometimes it will work right away some times i have to turn it off a few times to get it to work i changed the pressure switch no change please help

Old 02-17-07, 12:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your furnace is either not sensing proper ignition or gas.

I would start with the ignition and if you have hot surface ignition see if the ignitor is getting hot enough and has the proper resistance. You can actually have an ignitor glow orange and not be quite hot enough, and when this happens, just at the point the gas valve calls for gas, it can't ignite and shuts down. This is not just theory. I have had to replace ignitors because of this.

If it is a gas problem, you could have a clog in a crossover tube gas port or in the burner section close to the ignition source. Something wire brushing inside usually cures. Some here have ahad success just by rapping on the burners.

Sometimes there is something weird with the thermostat where, coincidently, the stat shuts down agaion right at about the time it shoujdl fire up. So you need to test that the 24 volt current is coming back to the terminal, from the t-stat, while this is going on. Actually, this might be THE very first thing I'd check as it's so simple.

Old 02-18-07, 09:52 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Your furnace vent blower is switched on by a relay on the circuit board. It sounds like it is making contact occasionally, but is worn or dirty and not making contact with every call for heat. It may require replacement of the control board. You could, as a test, remove the lower door, block the interlock for the door, and tap the relay with an insulated probe. You may be able to jar it enough to make contact for a given cycle. It would also verify that the relay is the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: