measuring oil in under ground oil tank

Old 01-02-06, 02:32 PM
netnet
Visiting Guest
Red face measuring oil in under ground oil tank

Anyone know how to measure oil in an underground oil tank? If there is no guage, and we don't know if the tank is placed vertically or horizontally, then we can't even buy one of those charts and use the stick method, it seems. Is there any way to tell? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-06, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The most common tanks are 48" in diameter and are placed horizontally. A 5' long tank would hold approximately 500 gallons and a 10' long tank would hold 1000 gallons. If you don't know what size the tank is, you may have to measure it and then have a known amount of fuel put in and measure it again and compare to tank charts.

Ken

Old 01-03-06, 02:41 PM
netnet
Visiting Guest
To Ken about under ground oil tank

Hi, thanks for your help. I do know that it is a 500 gallon tank but I don't know how it is layed. But let's assume it IS horizontal, I still don't know how to measure how much oil is in there. What did you mean by "you may have to measure it and then have a known amount of fuel put in and measure it again and compare to tank charts." Thanks, I'm a little slow, plus I'm a girl! HEEHEE!!!!!!

Old 01-03-06, 02:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you find the pipe that is used to fill the tank and put a stick or tape measure down to the bottom, you will see how much fuel is in there. If you can get the tape measure to catch on the top of the tank as you slide it in the fill pipe, you can subtract the length of the fill pipe from the total depth and know the diameter of the tank. You still won't know the length but if you had 6" of oil in the tank and had 200 gallons delivered and the new level was 21" you could look at a chart and know that it was a 550 gallon tank. If your reading after the 200 gallon delivery was 15" that would correspond to a 1000 gallon tank. I can make you a chart (or send you one) if you get to that point. In the mean time, find the pipe and get those measurements. Take a towel along to wipe the oil off of your tape measure.

Ken