Question about Gas Usage

Old 01-17-06, 06:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Question about Gas Usage

I have an older 80% furnace and I recieved a pretty high gas bill even though the power was off where I live for 7 days and we turned the heat off when we were gone over christmas and I estimate that we used the furnace maybe 15 days out of 33 that the bill says. I was wondering is there anyway to check and see if I am using to much gas or does the gas valve release a pre determined amount every time?

Also I wanted to say that this website helped me so much when I was having problems with my furnace, someone wrote the basic steps to what should be happening when your furnace starts up and this helped me to understand what was going on and track the problem to the fact that my wife bought long curtains and they were blocking the furnace return which was keeping the pressure switch from building up enough back pressure to start the igntion process . So instead of paying some yahoo repairman to come out and replace my gas valve which he claimed was the issue the furnace is working great!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-06, 07:06 AM
Do you have natural or LP gas?
If you have LP gas, when they fill the tank, it is much like filling your car with gas. Some will fill quickly until it pops off and that's it. Others may take a little more time to fill the tank right up to the recommended 85%. The difference could be several gallons. If you had the heat completely off for 18 days, then your usage is not very high and several gallons would be a big difference over a month.

Old 01-17-06, 08:50 AM
I have natural gas and not a tank

Old 01-17-06, 12:33 PM
Perhaps the bill was based on an estimated, rather than actual, meter read.

Old 01-17-06, 01:25 PM
Yeah, that's what i'm wondering too... Are you paying month to month or are you on a plan with your gas company... How much do you pay on average per month?

Is your water tank gas fired? How's the efficiency? have a fireplace? any other gas fired items?

Barring that, call the gas company and ask them why your bill is so high.

Btw, the girlfriend had really high gas bills, alot of it turned out to be the hot water tank, almost always firing. Almost half of her tank was filled with silt and dirt. It blew a hole one day, she replaced it and it weighed a ton. Gas bill has been down quite a bit with the new 40G tank.

Old 01-17-06, 02:10 PM
What do you consider "pretty high"?

In my area, natural gas is 40% higher this year than last.

Old 01-17-06, 02:20 PM
Ok answering the questions below, the only appliance that uses gas is the furnace as the water heater is electric.

It says on the bill a meter reading so i assume that they came out and read the meter.

I am on an equal payments plan tha charges me 80 per month year round.

The only reason I consider the bill I got which said I used 187 dollars worth of gas is that our power was off for 8 days plus and we had the furnace off for an additional 10 or so due to vacation making the total days that we didnt use it 18 or so out of 33 days in the billing cycle making the cost of running it about 13 bucks a day!! Is that normal?

Old 01-17-06, 02:27 PM
not really reasonable for one month with so little usage... $80 per month is pretty good actually..

Call your gas company and let them know. Have they read the meter since?

Old 01-17-06, 02:49 PM
If your utility company does every other month actual readings, and your current bill was an actual reading, then last month's was probably an estimated reading. If that estimated reading last month was too low, your current month's bill is high because it is making up for it.

The end of Nov, beginning of Dec was much colder than average in large parts of the US, so that would make your estimated reading last month lower than what you ended up using.

Michael