Furnace will not lite

Old 02-24-06, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace will not lite

My furnace is about 5 or 6 yrs old. Mauf. by goodman. I always run my fan at night for white noise for my son. Anyway, When I woke up this morning I noticed it was running nor did the furnace kick on. I went to check the thermostat and it was set on 68 and the house temp read 66. So I turned thermostat to off for a couple seconds then I turned it back on. I didn't do anything. So I put it back in the off and went down to furnace. removed panel and turned the gas off, and the main furnace switch for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes I turned the gas on, turned the switch on the side of furnace and turned the thermosat back on to HEAT.

I went back down to the furnace and it sounded as though it wanted to start but it just won't spark and ignite.

do you think its my ignitor? If so, How difficult is it to change out for a HVAC rookie, but a very handson mechanical person??

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-06, 12:02 PM
do you think it's my ignitor?
You need to take further diagnostic steps before you step replacing parts.

What do you mean "won't spark"?
What exactly did you hear?

Old 02-24-06, 12:11 PM
I forgot to add this. I the exhaust fan kicks on and it clicks as though gas is valve is opening and the motor runs but just doesn't kick in and ignite.

Old 02-24-06, 05:08 PM
Sounds like an ignitor. To be sure, unplug the ignitor and test the wires for voltage coming from the control. If you dont have a voltmeter, call your HVAC guy.

Old 02-24-06, 05:47 PM
If you have an ohmmeter, after you unplug the ignitor, measure the resistance across its terminals.
If open, it's broken.