Empty oil tank, do I need to refill?

Old 02-28-06, 08:28 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Empty oil tank, do I need to refill?

Hello! We recently moved into a house that has an oil furnace. Last week we ran out of oil, and since it's warming up we decided not to refill the tank. (Our plan is to switch over to gas this summer) I was told by the oil company that we need to have *some* oil in the tank or it will cause problems. Since the oil company told me this, I'm a bit skeptical. I have absolutely no experience with oil furnaces so was wondering if this is true or not? Thanks!

Old 02-28-06, 08:43 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Banschi, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
If you were going to use it again, I would say to put oil in it. Actually, I would tell you to fill it if possible. Tanks develop condensation if left empty and then you would have problems. Since you are not going to be using it again, I might put a few gallons in to keep rust from forming on the bottom. Most people who would buy it would not believe the oil was any good and want you to have it pumped out. You would have to pay for this. If you are POSITIVE you won't be using it again, I would sell it as soon as possible. Good luck.

Old 02-28-06, 08:47 AM
B
Thanks!

Thank you for the info, I'll have them come out and put about 50 gallons in!

Old 02-28-06, 02:59 PM
It is unlikely that your tank is actually empty. Either fill it full or forget it.
Tape a plastic grocery bag over the vent to slow down the air exchange.

Make sure you sell it this summer. It will be okay until then.

Old 02-28-06, 11:14 PM
D
I am going to have a similar problem with a house I am going to close on March 31st. i do nto want to fill what I know is going to be an empty tank cause we will only have 1 month left for the heating season and we are switching to gas (already got everything ready to go, just need to move it)

Since I am pulling the stuff out, I want to keep it close to empty. So I am going to just stick some diseal fuel in it to get by. It is practically the same price since the oil company would kill me if I asked them to come to dump 20 gallons in my tank

Old 03-01-06, 02:49 AM
If kerosene is cheaper (no road tax), you can burn that for a month.

Old 03-01-06, 08:44 PM
D
Originally Posted by bolide
If kerosene is cheaper (no road tax), you can burn that for a month.
cool, thanks for the tip. We got quote 500 bucks from the gas company to bring in a line from the street. Cant wait

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: