Lenox furnace question

Old 03-06-06, 11:23 AM
R
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lenox furnace question

I have an eight-year old Lenox Elite Series furnace. We have the thermostat set at 72 degrees but the actual temperature will now drop well below that and the furnace will not kick on. When I open up the furnace, the fan appears to be running but not the burners. When I flip the power switch off(located on the side of the furnace) and then back on, then after a few seconds the the automatic ignition will start clicking and then the furnace burners will kick on. After the house heats up and it shuts down again, I run into the same problem again...the burners won't kick on automatically again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Old 03-06-06, 07:13 PM
Have you looked down in the small peek hole on the blower door to see any fault code?

Sounds like it locks out on your, and it reset when you turn off the power and back on again.

Check your owners manual, or back side of the blower door for fault code.

Old 03-07-06, 07:29 AM
R
Lenox furnace

Thanks Jay. I'm guessing if there is a fault code somewhere, there would have to be a digital display of it?? I don't see any kind of display for a fault code and I don't see any mention of it in the product manual or on the back of the panel. This is a G23 Series furnace if that helps.

Rob

Old 03-07-06, 10:48 AM
What's the full model and S# is on this furnace? I see the G23 used diffrent types of controls.

On the board (in the blower area), it may say "Sure light", other wise, it will have a board, and a white or blue spark modular.

Old 03-07-06, 11:52 AM
R
Furnace

The full model # is G23Q2(X)-50 and the serial number, I believe, is 6097K21779.

You can take a look at these two photos if it happens to help in the identification:

http://home.kc.rr.com/ramram/PICT0001.JPG

http://home.kc.rr.com/ramram/PICT0002.JPG

Thanks,
Rob

Old 03-07-06, 04:39 PM
Ok, You don't have the "Surelight".

The white box up by the induer motor is your spark ignitor control (orange cable). it will lock out after about 85 sec of no pilot flame. About an hour, it will try again, if no luck it will try again for 15 times, then shut down completely untill you shut it off. From what I read, there should be a red flashing LED on this box.

The LED steady on means it's Ok

flashing, means pilot failed, will re try.

off, mean is locked out.

Last question, what type of t=stat do you have? Electronic or manual?

Old 03-07-06, 06:28 PM
R
furnace

Jay - I have an automatic (programable) thermostat.

Old 03-07-06, 06:39 PM
R
furnace

There only appears to be a green LED light (no red that I can find). Each time I've looked at it I believe it has been "on" (solid green). I haven't been noticing any intermitent "clicking" noises of the ignitor trying to light the pilot light. The blower just seems to run continuous without the burners ever coming on (and the auto-ignition doesn't ever go). That is, of course, unless I power the unit off and then back on...then it all works fine for one cycle.

Old 03-07-06, 07:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you handy with a multimeter? Because I have had similar problems traced back to a malfunctioning programable, I would want to make sure, down in the furnace, where the thermostat wires hook up to it's board, that there is 24 volts at the outgoing (to thermostat) red wire and incoming 24 volt at the white wire (coming back FROM the thermostat).

In your OP you talked about a fan. In your last post you used the term blower. Just what fan and blower are we talking here? The draft inducer blower or the blower that pushes heated air out the registers?

Also, do you happen to know if your blower that pushes air out the registers is controled by a fan switch, or a fan timer control board?

Edit: Obviously you have to test for the 24 volts when the furnace is stuck with the blower running...not when it is reset and working as it should.

Your trouble, obviously, is that you can't catch it ever in the act. Because, everytime you go to reset it, it starts working again. Your only hope, in order to visually see what the sequencing with ignition is (if there even *is* an ignition attempt, or a brief flame), is to sit down by your furnace with the top cover off, and sit and wait, and watch.

Old 03-07-06, 07:39 PM
Here is the install manual on your furnace.

http://www.hvac-direct.com/PDF_Files/service/9814a.pdf

As for the t-stat question, look at page 10, fig 19, talks about the jumper for the type of t-stat.

page 11 to 12 talks about how the system runs.

Trouble shooting on page 37 to 41.

Old 03-07-06, 08:31 PM
R
furnace

Thanks gentlemen. I'll keep plugging away.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: