New thermostat wiring...

Old 03-16-06, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New thermostat wiring...

Good day,
I am installing a new 2 stage thermostat, and need to run only about 30 feet of 5 conductor wire. For this length, could I use 20 gauge, or must I use 18 gauge? I've read where under 100' its OK to use 20 g. I just need some clarification.
Thanks

Old 03-16-06, 06:29 PM
I've gotten by with 20 guage, but if I were you, do 18, and be done with.. Also, pull 7 wires for "Just in case"

I pulled a 7 wires,

1-Power.
2-Fan
3-Heat 1
4-Heat 2
5-Cool
6-Common
7- (ready for 2nd stage cool)

What brand/model of t-stat are you putting in?

Old 03-16-06, 08:24 PM
Jay11J,
Thanks for your reply back.
I got a six wire 18G from local heating shop even before i got your reply back. I only need five wires for new t-stat since I do not need AC...here in western Canada I would only need AC for 5 days out of entire year. Hardly worthwhile.
After lots of research on the subject, I got a robertshaw 9915i. Its more than what i need i'm sure, but got a good price on it. That and I liked a lot of the features on it and simplicity of programming, compared to other main brand (Honeywell)
I will not instal until spring or an exceptionally warm day incase something goes dreadfully wrong. Don't need to be without heat in a cold snap.(Though, i could cuddle up to my wife...she'd be hot under the collar. Never mind, i'll go with the dog)
Javaman

Old 03-16-06, 08:43 PM
lol

Ok, Glad you got the wire.

The newer Honeywell Vision Pro is VERY easy to Program.

I got one in for my parents, and now mom even knows how to program it. with the older style it was always on HOLD.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: