Won't light

Old 03-16-06, 04:49 PM
C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Won't light

We have a 6 year old Ducane non-condensing furnace in the attic (at least I think it's non-condensing). A few weeks ago it would kick on, but, wouldn't light, and the natural gas would shut itself off, however, the blower, of course, continues to run and kick out cool air! I had a serviceman from Consumers Energy out, and he said to replace the filter, (which we did) and he replaced the ignitor. Well, now 4 weeks later, it's doing it again. The problem is intermittent, sometimes I can force it to cycle a couple of times and it lights, other times, it's 4 AM and I wake up freezing because the silly thing is blowing cold air!!!! And it's winter in Michigan! I called Consumers back and the man that came out the second time said that it's the gas valve, and basically refused to work on it, saying that it was a dangerous situation. That doesn't make sense, since the other guy worked on the furnace (there is a platform to stand or sit on) with no problem. However-that's neither here nor there....now I have a furnace that needs fixing. Do you think it's the gas valve, and if so, how hard is that to replace?
Thanks very much-I know you'll be helpful!

Old 03-16-06, 06:34 PM
???

I'd call the company and speaking to a manager or owner, and ask why they won't service it?

or call another company.

You could replace the valve, but something is up if they wont' do it???

Old 03-16-06, 06:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Not lighting

The most common cause is a dirty flame sensing rod. This is a rod in porcelain insulator with a single wire coming from it & going to the ignition control. Usually the easiest way to find it is to locate the terminal on the igniton control marked "sense" or something similar & follow the wire to the flame rod.
Remove the flame rod, clean it with scotch brite or fine steel wool, re-install, & try the heater. I suggest you call the service manager of Consumers Energy & find out what was "dangerous" & express your displeasure with the second service person.

Old 04-05-06, 12:19 PM
L
I had a similar situation last November. I went to Homedepot and purchased a thermostart for $5.90. The replacement works for the whole winter.

Old 04-05-06, 06:10 PM
B
Gas valves are very easy to replace. It is a simple matter of disconnecting a few wires. Use a pipe wrench to unscrew the old valve, screw the new one on, reconnect the wires, and then check for leaks with soak bubbles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: