Goodman Furnace Whine

Old 03-21-06, 08:24 AM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodman Furnace Whine

10 days ago our 3 year old Goodman furnace stopped working. We had a technician come in and he replaced the ignitor and all seemed well.

Yesterday though, it started producing a high-pitched whine whenever the unit came on.

My husband opened everthing up and couldn't find a problem with the fans. In his words: "It's not the main blower fan, not the extraction fan, it seems like it may be too much pressure somewhere." He also mentioned something about whenever he replaced a necessary piece of duct, the whining would start up again. If he left the duct unattached, no whine.

Could the technician have done something that caused this or might it be totally coincidental and if so, any ideas?

Old 03-21-06, 10:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If he just replaced the ignitor, it definitely would be just a coincidence IF he didn't inadvertently touch anything else. Maybe, though, he either bumped an air shutter to a burner, or perhaps felt one or more were misadjusted, and changed the air volume control of the shutter.

A whine sound can be common with the draft inducer motor and sometimes the sound is more apparent in the furnaces sheetmetal than from the draft inducer motor fan, itself.

To have a sudden duct (sizing) problem that just occured out of the blue would seem odd. I suspect one of the two things I mentioned.

You may want to make up your own stethoscope out of pipe or metal drinking glass or something.

Old 03-21-06, 06:02 PM
T
If its the Goodman furnace I think it is, I know what the problem is. Go to the furnace while it is running and push in on the edges of the bottom door. If the noise stops, take the door off and gently bend the left and right edges in and replace the door. If the noise is still there, install weather strip between the cabinet and door.

Old 03-22-06, 10:17 AM
J
Thank you both for responding so quickly. My husband only got home after 11:00 last night and was too tired to take a look, but when he arrives home this evening, at his normal hour of 6:00p.m. he will definitely be using your helpful suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 03-31-06, 12:12 PM
J
I'm writing back to finish this thread in case anyone new searches about a whining furnace later on.

My husband fixed the problem!

It was a piece of rubber insulation that had slipped out of place, leaving a gap through which the air was forced, causing the noise!

Thnkas again to all for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: