Gas Fireplace ignites but will not stay lit...


  #1  
Old 03-26-06, 04:50 PM
9
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Fireplace ignites but will not stay lit...

This question is about a free standing natural gas fireplace / stove; an Osburn unit, model # G2D

I can light it with the igniter (turning switch to pilot and pushing down, then pushing the igniter) but when I let up on the switch to turn it to the on position it goes out... even after holding down while lit for several minutes.

Does this something fairly simple to fix that anyone who is handy can fix? Your help is appreciated...

Neil
 
  #2  
Old 03-26-06, 06:08 PM
Grady's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Delaware, The First State
Posts: 14,401
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Gas Fireplace

I suspect you have a bad thermocouple or dirty flame rod. Some fireplaces use a small rod (+/- 1/8") to detect flame & others use a thermocouple or powerpile. If yours uses the rod (usually part of the sparker/pilot assembly), try cleaning it with a piece of scotchbrite or fine steel wool. If yours has a thermocouple or powerpile, it likely needs to be replaced.
Other possibilities are a bad gas valve or a bad oxygen depletion sensor.
 
  #3  
Old 03-27-06, 05:45 PM
9
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool... I appreciate the advice, it'll give me a place to start!

Neil
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: