Waste oil burners

Old 03-28-06, 05:33 PM
W
wingplow
Visiting Guest
Waste oil burners

Looking for any plans to build a waste oil burner for my shop. The shop is small
30' w x 28' d
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-06, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Waste oil burner

Forget building your own. These things are complex even when compared to a typical residential oil burner. To heat a shop of that size, it is highly unlikely you would ever recover the cost of a waste oil burner & the high maintenance they require.

Old 04-27-06, 03:57 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is this what you were looking for :

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me7.html

steve

Old 05-18-06, 08:27 PM
Waste oil burners

I used to sell and service waste-oil furnaces.
The first question is. How much oil do you save/collect in a year. Waste-oil heaters are supposed to incinerate oil being generated on site. You'd have to collect at least 1,000 gallons a year to see any payback from your investment. and YES they do require a certain amount of "tending", I call it.
By rights you should check and adjust the flame on a weekly basis. Most people don't realize it, the product being stored to be burned will stratify in the tank. Tranny fluid on one level and gear lube on another. Food for thought

Old 07-08-06, 05:26 PM
J
To be honest?

I heard about someone who had a homemade one and burned down his shop. I don't think they belong in a house. Now if you wanted to try to heat water up outside in a safe area then that might be O.K., or if you have cheap tools in your garage!

Just my opinion.

Old 10-06-07, 07:57 AM
B
Unhappy Waste oil burners

Originally Posted by MaineMan51 View Post
I used to sell and service waste-oil furnaces.
The first question is. How much oil do you save/collect in a year. Waste-oil heaters are supposed to incinerate oil being generated on site. You'd have to collect at least 1,000 gallons a year to see any payback from your investment. and YES they do require a certain amount of "tending", I call it.
By rights you should check and adjust the flame on a weekly basis. Most people don't realize it, the product being stored to be burned will stratify in the tank. Tranny fluid on one level and gear lube on another. Food for thought
Hi Maineman51, would it be possible to pick your brain about some problems we're having with a waste oil burner being used to heat water for a village swimming pool? The pool is staffed by volunteers and I've just taken over because the guy who usually does the boiler has taken ill. I haven't had much training and I'm not sure what the settings should be.
In the cool weather (below 40F) it is difficult to keep the boiler burning. We have put in a preheater for the oil, but suspect that the oil is too cold to run inside from the main tank to refill the smaller inside tank. Could the problem be solved by an agitator to keep the oil mixed once the settings were right?. I am cleaning the burners regularly, but can't keep the burners going for long enough to get the water temperature up. Any help would be much appreciated.