How to test C554 Flame detector?

Old 04-04-06, 04:58 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to test C554 Flame detector?

I have an oil furnace with Honeywell R8184G controller. Furnace has been maintained every year. It is only 7yrs old. The reset on the ignitor resets after the 45 sec. time. I also smell some oil at the end of 45 seconds. I have a DVM meter, how do I know if my problem is in the detector, ignitor or else where? Thanks in advance the temps will only be in the 40's...no freezing pipes but still cold.

Old 04-04-06, 09:20 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Disconnect and/or remove the cadmium cell and check its resistance with your ohmmeter. When dark the resistance should be in the order of 100,000 ohms or more and when exposed to a bright light it will fall to less than 1,600 ohms.

Are you getting a spark at the ignition electrodes when the burner tries to light? You may have a bad ignition transformer or it just might be that the "spark gap" has worn (eroded) too far for reliable ignition. The R8184G has a "constant ignition" which means the spark ignition transformer is energized during the entire run cycle. This leads to increased erosion on the points of the spark gap electrodes. Normally these are cleaned and re-gapped during a yearly service.

Old 04-05-06, 11:23 AM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will test the CAD cell tonight. I do smell fuel so my guess is it does not light and the CAD cell is working.
Not sure where the ignitor is located and what should the gap size be?

Old 04-05-06, 12:16 PM
F
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Dixons
I will test the CAD cell tonight. I do smell fuel so my guess is it does not light and the CAD cell is working.
Not sure where the ignitor is located and what should the gap size be?
A domestic high-pressure oil burner consists of a motor, fuel unit (pump), blower wheel, ignition transformer, nozzle and spark electrodes. All of this is assembled into a single unit and the motor drives both the blower wheel (inside the enclosure) and the fuel unit directly. The ignition transformer may be mounted on the side, top, bottom or end of this burner assembly.

There will be some way to access the internal parts which consist of the fuel tube/nozzle adapter/nozzle and the ignition (spark) electrodes. Often this will be by removing the ignition transformer. It will be necessary to disconnect the fuel line from the outlet of the fuel unit to the nozzle assembly and likely also remove some kind of nut or bracket holding the nozzle assembly in position. This position is rather critical to ensure proper combustion. The spark electrodes (ignitor) are two parallel ceramic or porceleon tubes with hardened steel wires through them. At the nozzle end they are bent to come to a gap of about 1/8 inch, above and slightly forward of the end of the nozzle. The ends of the spark electrodes need to be sharp and clean. The positioning of the electrodes in relationship to the nozzle is also critical.

Perhaps you need to call for service and watch the serviceperson open the oil burner so that you may do it next time.

Old 04-05-06, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Testing 554 cad cell

Are you sure the flame is actually igniting? If it is, follow Furd's advice. If the flame is not igniting or you can't tell, STOP NOW & call a service person. Each time you push that red button, you are injecting oil into the combustion chamber. For your own saftey & that of the servicer, be sure to tell him/her how many times you have pushed that stinking button.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: