boiler supply pipe

Old 04-16-06, 09:53 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boiler supply pipe

Hello, I have just built a new house that is approximately 1500 sq. ft. on one floor. No basement or crawl space. It is very well insulated. I had a heat loss completed for the house and it requires a 35000 BTU input boiler to heat the house. I want to install a split loop system from the boiler so each side of the house will be fed. I am really stuck for space and wondered if any one could tell me if I could use half-inch copper for my feed and return lines? Thanks

Old 04-16-06, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Split loop

If you have fin-tube baseboard, you should come off the boiler with 1" (minimum) then split to two 3/4" loops. I doubt 1/2" will carry enough water to heat the house.

Old 04-16-06, 08:41 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/2 in pipe is only good for transferring about 15,000 BTU. So 2 loops would only give you 30,000 BTU. Even though it's close, it'll be at the maximum velocity which will produce noise whenever it's running. Also 1/2 inch pipe is only capable of supply 25 ft of baseboard. Most likely you'll exceed that on each loop.

You'll need to use 3/4 inch piping for the loops.

As grady said, use 1 inch coming off of the boiler before it splits into the separate loops.

Michael

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: