How To Remove A Wood Stove?

Old 04-28-06, 04:03 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How To Remove A Wood Stove?

We've lived in this house for 5+ years and only once used the wood burning stove that's here. The house is small, the room its in is small and the space the stove occupies might be put to better use.

How to remove? Is it worth trying to sell (its a bit on the ugly side)? Should we remove the hearth - brick, with brick on the walls behind it, as well (I'm thinking maybe to keep it, thinking ahead for potential resale value)? How should we seal the hole in the wall/chimney? How heavy are these stoves, this one is on the small size - is this a 2 person job, or do we need big burly men to do it? Do we need to see up any other venting somewhere (i.e., there's a big vent in the ceiling that I have no idea what its for)?

Old 04-29-06, 06:57 PM
I'd suggest two person to help lift this out of the home.. Otheriwse, hard to say what needs to be done..

Are you able to post a picture on a host site for us to see, and link us to the host site?

Old 05-02-06, 04:27 PM
J
Sorry, it took me awhile to get to this....

A view of the stove, hearth and surround.

and

where it goes into the chimney

Please ignore the dust bunnies.

Old 05-02-06, 05:56 PM
it's up to you about the brick on the walls, and floor. You may have to do some sheetrock work when you take out the wall brick, and the floor, you may have put new sub floor and then new flooring for the whole room.

When you remove the stove pipe you can put some insulation in it and get a chimeny cover, I am not sure where a person can get those now days. may cap it off with duct cap and paint it black.

Put the stove in the paper, and I am sure it will sell for someone who wants one for the basement or garage.

Old 05-03-06, 08:16 AM
J
Thanks, Jay.

This is turning into quite the project!

I quite like the hearth and wall brick, myself, and would not mind keeping that. Maybe put the TV there (except that its in the middle of the room and the cable outlet(s) are at the ends of the room).

Re: The chimney cover.... you mean that's something to do if we leave the hearth for future owners, is that right? If we remove it should we just put wallboard over it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: