Venting furnace/hot water heater room

Old 06-04-06, 06:53 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Venting furnace/hot water heater room

In a small room, about 5' by 5' there is a gas furnace and a gas hot water heater. There is no vent in the door, or in any wall. In reading info on the web I see that this is a major safety problem and need to install vents. I see that there should be two vents, one near the floor and one within 12 inches of the ceiling, the size based on the BTU formula of 1 sq inch per 3000 BTUs of fuel input. My question is can the upper vent be in the ceiling to a vented attic?

Thanks.

Old 06-04-06, 07:04 AM
A
That is how our utility room is setup. They actually have 2 - 6 inch vents to the attic, one cutoff within 6 inches of the ceiling the other within 6 inches of the floor.

Old 06-04-06, 04:53 PM
R
Thanks

for answering but I am a little confused about where you say your vents are.

Old 06-20-06, 08:37 PM
N
installing two grilles opening the utility room into the rest of the house will need to be done for combustion air. typically 2 grilles 12x12 or 10x10 is all that is needed. one about 6-12 inches above floor and one 12 inches from ceiling. i would also advise running a fresh air make up if possible, which would consist of a 8 inch round flex ducting connected to the return ductwork on the furnace from outside. just be sure it is before the filter and that there is a screen on the vent outside. this will help to balance the pressures in the house. also cut in a supply register on the supply duct of the furnace in the utility room to pressurize the room and reduce chances of downdraft of furnace and waterheater flue.

Old 06-21-06, 03:27 PM
A
The vents are nothing more than 6 inch round ducts that lead to the attic. Look at the Galvanized pipe on tinworks.com mine look just like that except I think they may be steel.

Old 06-21-06, 06:05 PM
N
im lost on what vents your talking about aasu. if you mean the flue piping then that is a double walled bvent pipe that protrudes through the attic and out the roof unless a chimney is being used.

Old 06-22-06, 03:51 PM
A
nomore9to5: The flue pipes for the furnace and the water heater bot vent out thru the roof. My apoligies I just assumed tinworks.com was a small single walled pipe loose inside a larger single walled pipe. I figured they were just showing a couple differents sizes for the picture.

Let's see if the ascii art comes out ok. If this picture makes it thru it will explain alot better.

| 2. pipe cut only 6" above floor
(2) | 3. Gas furnace
_____ | 4 Gas Water Heater
3 | |
_____|_____________|
Remember both 1,2 are vented to the attic about 5 ft from open gable end. Probably not the best setup but it what the last home owner left.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: