Should a new furnace & AC unit cost $8500??

Old 06-26-06, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should a new furnace & AC unit cost $8500??

We're in the process of getting quotes for a new furnace and AC unit for our 1100 square foot, brick, ranch house. We've only gotten prices from one guy so far (2 more coming this afternoon) but he recommended the top of the line Trane system. Dual this, dual that...I don't know what else except that the quote was $8500. Is all of that necessary? Is there really such a difference between the top of the line Trane units and the others?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-06, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Denver Dog
We're in the process of getting quotes for a new furnace and AC unit for our 1100 square foot, brick, ranch house. We've only gotten prices from one guy so far (2 more coming this afternoon) but he recommended the top of the line Trane system. Dual this, dual that...I don't know what else except that the quote was $8500. Is all of that necessary? Is there really such a difference between the top of the line Trane units and the others?
Thanks!
Denver Dog, hi well for this small ranch is way too much , i think too, looks like he is quote yo ua dual stage furnace dual stage a/c outdoor unit ,which probably you dont need.
Now what SEER is he qouted you and tonage on a/c unit,
also for the furnace what Btu and what % efficency ,also variable speed blower? humidifier? what type of filter? please write it here for us and we coudl judge beter if they hacking instalers, or legit ones alright?

Old 06-26-06, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the response gyuri. The sales guy quoted us a 2 stage(variable speed motor) 70,000 BTU 94% efficient Trane furnace, coupled to a 2 ton 14 seer air conditioning unit. Specifically, its the Trane XV90 furnace and the XL14i a/c. They were also putting in the automatic flow-thru humidifier and a 1" standard filter. Since my H2O heater is still venting out the chimney, they were also putting in a chimney liner. Everything for the low, low, low price of $8,464.00. I could go with the 13 seer a/c unit for $800 less. What do you guys think? Is this what furnaces and a/c units cost nowadays??

Thanks!!

blackdoggiedog

Old 06-26-06, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Denver Dog

I think you need to shop around. The 2 stage, variable speed furnace is probably a good set-up for you in Denver. I think the 14 SEER is overkill as may be the 2 tons. Make sure a load calculation is done.

Old 06-26-06, 06:38 PM
Wink

Id say the price is not bad for what he said he would put in . Is it down on paper????????
Id still get 2 more bids here. I take it he ran a heat loss and AC load on the home and that is what you need. The furnace is a go for sure . You will like that V/S blower . You cant tell when they come on. Now on that AC Im like Grady I dont think you need that high of seer. As my book show that XL14i is a R410a freon. We try and stay away from it as long as we can. You can get R22 till 2030. You would have to drop down to a XR12 for R22, might ask him about it
ED

Old 06-27-06, 12:46 PM
Trane, Carrier, or Comfortmaker?

Okay, we've gotten our 3 quotes. The first one was for the Trane @ $8500. The second guy only installs Carrier and his quote was $4350. The last guy only installs Comfortmaker and his quote was the same as the Carrier guy. Are certain brands better than others? I'd never heard of Comfortmaker. We're pretty much comparing apples to apples as far as efficiency goes, so, excluding Trane, do we go for Carrier or Comfortmaker??
Thanks everyone!

Old 06-27-06, 01:23 PM
Wink

The sales guy quoted us a 2 stage(variable speed motor) 70,000 BTU 94% efficient Trane furnace, coupled to a 2 ton 14 seer air conditioning unit. Specifically, its the Trane XV90 furnace and the XL14i a/c. They were also putting in the automatic flow-thru humidifier and a 1" standard filter. Since my H2O heater is still venting out the chimney, they were also putting in a chimney liner
They will do all this like the first guy for $4350?????? put it down on paper. They cant be the same units for AFUE and SEER Id say

ED

Old 06-27-06, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something is fishy

One bid at twice the other two? I'm with Ed. Get detailed quotes on paper & post back. There has to be some major difference other than just equipment brand.
Comformaker is made by ICP, a division of Carrier & very similar if not identical to Heil, Tempstar, & Arcoaire.

Old 06-27-06, 07:02 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear in the previous posts. The Trane quote was $8464 for a 70,000 BTU, 94% furnace and a 2 ton, 14 SEER AC unit. The Carrier quote was $4350 for a 60,000 BTU, 92% furnace and a 2 ton, 13 SEER AC unit. The Comfortmaker quote was $3,404 for a 50,000 BTU, 80% furnace and a 2 ton, 13 SEER AC unit, however, I later told him I wanted a 90% efficiency furnace and he said it would be an extra $730 for that. I don't have the specifics on that 90% furnace, but will get them tomorrow. The total for the Comfortmaker quote is now $4134, so it's almost the same as the Carrier. I hope this isn't more confusing than it already was I do have all the quotes in writing with the exception of the verbal add on for the 90% Comfortmaker. We basically want a quiet furnace and AC unit and want our house warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Thanks again!!

Old 06-27-06, 07:05 PM
I forgot to mention again that the Trane was a 2-stage furnace and the others (Carrier & Comfortmaker) are 1-stage furnaces. Another question for you all...do we need a 2-stage?

Old 06-27-06, 07:09 PM
Wink

We basically want a quiet furnace and AC unit and want our house warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Then get the V/S Trane

the Trane was a 2-stage furnace and the others (Carrier & Comfortmaker) are 1-stage
For where you live you want the 2 stage

ED

Old 06-27-06, 07:14 PM
Couldn't I get a 2-stage Carrier or Comfortmaker and save some money? The 2-stage Carrier is only an extra $200. I really don't want to spend almost $8500 on a new system. Is Trane that much better than the rest?
Thanks again for your time!

Old 06-27-06, 07:34 PM
Wink

What is Trane with a SEER 13 AC ??

I still cant see the $$ diff here. The other 2 are putting in all the stuff that the trane guy is????

ED

Old 06-27-06, 07:44 PM
I actually have a quote on the Trane 13 SEER AC unit. I forgot he had also quoted that...the price of that with the same 94%, 70,000BTU furnace is $7656. In looking at all the fine print, the inclusions all appear to be the same...flue liner, removal of old unit, permits, etc. etc.
I guess now I'm just wondering if Comfortmaker is a good brand. If so, it seems like the obvious choice if the new quote for the 2-stage still comes in low. If Comfortmaker isn't a good name/brand, I would happily pay a couple hundred more to go with a Carrier...
Thanks again Ed. You're very helpful!!

Old 06-28-06, 03:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Quotes

Nothing wrong with a Comfortmaker. I use a lot of Tempstar which I think is the same equipment. One thing to look out for is, some companies only offer a two stage in an 80% furnace. You are probably looking at most manufacturers top of the line being 2 stage & variable speed.

Old 07-03-06, 10:03 AM
are the comfortmaker and the Carrier guy also doing the chimney sleeve like the first guy is?

around here you will pay about 3k just for the chimney insert project depnding on teh height of the house. and are they doing it with stainless or just metal flex? the flex stuff is real cheap but rusts

Old 11-02-08, 09:27 AM
The quality offered by the Trane system is worth the money. For the company that I work for $8500 for a 90% furnace and a 13 seer ac is a really good price. No matter what you decide to go with keep in mind that you usually get what you pay for, in terms of quality of equipment and workmanship of the install. I've removed systems that failed after 1-2 years because of poor workmanship. Always make sure the company that you go with pulls ALL permits necessary as this is really a consumer protection against poor workmanship.