York gas furnace dead..help !!

Old 10-01-06, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
York gas furnace dead..help !!

Same story you've all heard before...

Furnace worked great last year. It's a York model LY8S, two years old. Fired it up this year....nothing. Checked the electrical all the way from the panel to the recpetacle that the unit plugs into. Checked the wire-nut connection from the cord to the internal mechanism. All good. All getting power.

The thermostat clicks on but of course nothing happens. The 'error code' light was flashing green, which means the unit is getting power and is in normal operating condition. When the thermostat is clicked on, it still flashes green. It should flash amber if it is getting the signal to heat. So I thought I found the problem.

One of the thermostat wires was disconnected, probably happened over the summer when it wasn't noticible. So I wire-nut it back together, and turn the thermostat on, thinking I found the problem....

Nothing. And now, NO lights are flashing on the unit. I double checked the electrical, and it's fine. I even purchased another thermostat and tried that..nothing. The wiring is connected to the new thermostat just like the old one, everything is the same...only now I don't even have power in the unit..!! I did turn the main breaker to the house off and then on again, but that was the only thing that occurred between the time I noticed the flashing green and then connected the thermostat wire. Maybe this blew the internal fuse, I don't know. I've done it a dozen times at least in the past without unplugging the furnace and nothing has happened. Come to think of it, I think the circuit breaker to the furnace was off anyway...I'm at a loss.

Before I call a costly repairman, I'd like to see if I am missing anything. Maybe a fuse in the unit itself? The manual does list a fuse as a spare part, but of course it's listed as 'not shown' on the drawing, so I have no idea where it is located. Not sure, but I can't imagine why nothing flashes now..not even the green. Could re-connection of one of the thermostat wires cause this?

Thanks all!

Last edited by fuente; 10-01-06 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-06, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fuse

They are usually automotive type fuses (either 3 or 5 amp) & located on the control board of the furnace.

Old 10-01-06, 05:02 PM
thanks grady. Does it sound like a fuse to you? It would make sense...just can't figure out how it would have blown

Old 10-01-06, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fuse

A blown fuse is a strong possibility. It could have blown while working on that broken thermostat wire.

Old 10-01-06, 05:56 PM
Bingo !! It's a 3A fuse and it's black as night in the middle. Hopefully this should solve the problem. I'll report back tomorrow after I get a new one.

Thanks Grady !!!

Old 10-01-06, 06:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fuse

Get a pack of fuses. You probably will never need them but.....

Old 10-02-06, 10:02 PM
We now have heat ! The fuse was the problem. Actually this whole thing was a blessing in disguise, because in the process if checking all the wiring connections, I discovered that the idiot installer used 14 awg cable that had no ground wire...and this furnace was on a 20A circuit. It was dedicated, and won't pull 15A anyway, but it wasn't grounded and he mixed wire gauges.

So I put in the new fuse, replaced the 14awg with 12 and grounded the circuit, and it's good as new.

Thanks Grady, you saved the day !

Old 10-03-06, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thumbs up Heat

Congrats on catching the wiring problem. Good heads up work.

Just a little tip: Make sure that ground is good & goes all the way back to an earth ground. A lot of the electronics on newer furnaces are VERY sensive to having a good ground especially after they get a few years under their belts.