Hunter thermostat…What am I doing wrong?

Old 10-17-06, 05:53 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hunter thermostat…What am I doing wrong?

Turned on the heat for the first time this season and the heat will kick in but the fan won’t work on “Auto”. It will work with the fan set to “ON” and blows warm air.

The Thermostat was a Hunter Programmable 44260, installed about a year ago and was working fine.
But I thought that maybe it went bad so I went and picked up a cheap Hunter 40035A mechanical.

When I hooked it up, set the fan to “AUTO” and turned the heat on; it worked. Except now the fan won’t shut off. It won’t shut off even with the thermostat completely disconnected; I have to shut off the furnace at the main breaker.

I have four wires that are not marked with anything except their color. Red, Blue, Green and Yellow. The unit is a Coleman Natural gas heat/Air (I couldn’t find a model number) It sets outside. (Tennessee)

With the old programmable I had the following connections…
G= Green
RC= one end of the jumper wire
RH = Red & the other end of the jumper wire
Y/0= Yellow
W/B= Blue
Y1= Nothing

With the newest (Mechanical) Hunter I had the following wire connections…
W= Nothing
RH= Red & one end of the jumper wire
RC = Blue & the other end of the jumper wire
Y= Yellow
G= Green
A= Nothing

It worked when I turned it on, but the fan never shut off. I removed the jumper, that didn’t help, and now it won’t shut off without shutting off the breaker. With nothing hooked to any wires there is 28 volts on the red wire.

TIA for any help.

Old 10-17-06, 06:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Fan problem

I don't think the trouble is with your thermostat but rather with the fan control on the furnace. But just to be sure, go to the unit outdoors & look at which wire is connected to which terminal on the furnace. I suspect you will find: R=red, W=blue, Y=yellow, & G=green. If that is correct, at the thermostat connect as follows: Red to RH with a jumper to RC, Blue to W, Yellow to Y, & Green to G. I hope you have not fried something in the furnace.
NOTE: All wiring, including thermostat wiring should be done with the breaker turned off.

Old 10-17-06, 07:54 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grady
I don't think the trouble is with your thermostat but rather with the fan control on the furnace. But just to be sure, go to the unit outdoors & look at which wire is connected to which terminal on the furnace. I suspect you will find: R=red, W=blue, Y=yellow, & G=green. If that is correct, at the thermostat connect as follows: Red to RH with a jumper to RC, Blue to W, Yellow to Y, & Green to G. I hope you have not fried something in the furnace.
NOTE: All wiring, including thermostat wiring should be done with the breaker turned off.
Thanks. I changed them to that, but now it is the same as it was before I switched the thermostat; Air works fine, but heat will not kick the fan on in “AUTO” , but will work with the fan set to “ON”.

Old 10-18-06, 03:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
No fan in Heat mode

I suspect the fan relay for the heating speed has gone bad. Just a guess, but certainly a possibility.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: